Pacey & Armitage Backsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by geojoe, Aug 8, 2011.

1. geojoe

geojoe Active Member

Hello all,

I came across a backsaw over the weekend that I was unable to resist despite the rough shape it was in. I cleaned it enough to get a glimpse of the three medallions and maker's name. Here are some photos of it.
    Thanks,
    Joe

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

I don't know if you have done any research already, but it looks from a brief glimpse at HSMOB that you may have a relative rarity.

According to them, Pacey and Armitage were producing saws from 1852 to 1855 (in Burnt Tree Lane) and so they couldn't have made that many in a three year run - and that is before you look at the "survival" rate. Trademarks on Base Metal only have Pacey and Co. in 1892 and I haven't looked at the Directories yet, so HSMOB are probably somewhere near right.

Lovely bottom horn and wonderful medallions (or label screws).

Fred

3. PeterEvans

PeterEvans Most Valued Member

shoarthing likes this.
  4. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Pacey & Armitage

I can add a bit to the nice piece of research that Peter reports.

PACEY & ARMITAGE SHEFFIELD
    Burnt Tree Lane 1852
    PACEY, John & Co
    31 Burnt Tree Lane 1854-1871
    107-109 Wentworth Street 1876
    PACEY, Mrs Elizabeth
    Well Meadow Street 1883 & 1888-1889
    Court 10, Upper Allen Street 1884
    PACEY & Co
    Court 10, Upper Allen Street 1887
    The addresses are all very close together. John Pacey and William Armitage divided into separate firms after 1852. The Pacey business was continued by Abram Ashton, who used the same trade mark ( a fierce looking molar tooth).

ASHTON, Abraham (& Sons Ltd) SHEFFIELD
    17½ Meadow Street 1888-1893
    Burnt Tree Works, 17 Meadow Street 1895-1951
    Saw makers for the above dates, but there are earlier entries under cutlers. Took over premises and trade mark of E. Pacey & Co. All the saws from which the marks below [sorry I can't upload like you others] are taken are second quality at best. In 1960 the firm registered an address in Wednesbury, Staffordshire.
    Trade and second quality marks: Burnt Tree Works; Sharp+tooth (picture).

5. shoarthing

shoarthing Most Valued Member