New saw find - Robert Waldo

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by rsather, Sep 15, 2012.

1. rsather

rsather New Member

I recently acquired this saw. I'm told that Robert Waldo was a saw maker near Sheffield around 1850. One interesting thing is this is the first saw I've found that only has a small amount of teeth. A retoothing effort that was abandoned possibly? Judging by the teeth that are there it was probably best for the saw that the previous owner stopped.:)

Thanks,
    Ryan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Robert Waldo

A new mark for me - I think this was probably made for Mawhood Brothers. edge tool makers, and factors of saws.

I have the following on them:

MAWHOOD Brothers SHEFFIELD
    Palm Tree Works, Pond Hill 1883 & 1895
    Edge tool manufacturers. Their listings as saw makers (above dates only) are not consistent with the surviving saws marked with their name (which were doubtless factored at all times). A 10-inch backsaw of about 1920 was sold at auction in 2009. The saw illustrated* is probably by this firm, one of the brothers having the first name Waldo (perhaps in honour of the American writer, Ralph Waldo Emerson).

* the illustration is of a different mark to Ryan's - the words are R.Waldo over VR and a crown, with Sheffield/Cast steel to the right.

With Ryan's permission, may I add the photo to my list of saw makers?
    Thanks a lot Simon

PS The lettering on the medallion has a US export look to it - was it bought in America?

3. rsather

rsather New Member

Simon,
    Go ahead and use the photos as you wish.

Thank you for all the information. Yes I purchased it in America. As far as the original owner, I couldn't say where he purchased it.

Ryan

4. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Robert Waldo saw

Thanks a lot, Ryan; will add your name to my list of acknowledgees.

Best wishes Simon

5. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Browns tool auction - US April.

Robert Waldo saw received in the same lot as the Webster saw.
    Six bob each way on the WS medallions :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]