Nettlefold and Mosers

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Aug 26, 2016.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I bought this on the assumption that it was by the same firm that made Nettlefold slot head screws and which are vastly superior in quality to the majority of (Chinese made) crossheads that you buy today. I didn't do the research until after I had bought the saw, but it looks as though I was right.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Nettlefold_and_Sons

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Nettlefold_and_Moser

"Nettlefold and Sons of 54 High Holborn passed to Oswald Nettlefold and his children

1947/8 The shop was sold to GKN by Oswald's children Hugh and Lucy (Nancy) Nettlefold, after its removal to new customised premises in Marylebone.

c.1951 Merged with Moser's Ltd. (presumably Moser and Sons), another subsidiary of GKN, from which time the firms have been known as Nettlefold and Moser."

It is not the prettiest of saws to look at and the design is rarely seen on saws made in the UK. I think that I have seen some Disston's of a similar design that were described as patternmaker's saws.

The blade is 1mm thick and it handles very well indeed. I also like the third screw in the handle, it is probably completely unnecessary, but smacks of the good old practice of over-engineering.

One problem that the above research has cleared up is that N and M was not formed as a company until 1951 and thus this makes the date on the blade 1955 and not 1935. (I wasn't sure when I first looked at it).

I still don't know what NTCB stands for though, but I don't think that it refers to any of these and which is the best that I can get out of Google.

Rank Abbr.
    Meaning
    NTCBNational Taipei College of Business (Taiwan)[​IMG]
    NTCBNatural Therapies Certification Board (Black Mountain, NC)[​IMG]
    NTCBNetwork Trusted Computing Base[​IMG]
    NTCBNational Tourism Certification Board (Ireland)[​IMG]
    NTCBNaval Training Center, Bainbridge (now defunct; US Navy; Port Deposit, MD)[​IMG]
    NTCBNorth Texas Circuit Board (Grand Prairie, TX)

Fred

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016