Need Help on ID

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Joe S, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Ray et al
    I have really struggled with the stamp on this early saw. I present this to this illustrious group because I know someone out there can figure it out.
    Lets start with the basics. A 26 inch hand saw, "early" closed beech handle, 4 brass split nut connectors and a nib present. The stamp includes a cast dot steel and a name. To me the name stamp reads" PREHIAH. ULW.
    Any ideas on this name?
    thanks
    Joe S.

Attached Files:

2. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi Joe,
    You've found a tough one there, but after studying it awhile, I think I have a likely solution for you.

You started with PREHIAH.ULW. I see the first H as an M. Also, I don't believe the P is correct. Based on it's flat top and the serif on the right side, I'm going to propose it is an E. That makes the first word EREMIAH. That is not a name, but if you add a J is front of it, it becomes JEREMIAH, a common name. Your pictures cut off the area preceding the word, but I'm guessing there was once a J there (or perhaps an I in those days) that has either worn away or perhaps was never stamped deeply.

Moving to the second word, I don't believe the first letter is a U. It would need a square bottom, and none of the other rounded letters have been squared off. But if you add a diagonal between the two vertical lines, it easily becomes an N. The second letter could be an L, or it also could be an E. I propose an E. The third letter is W, so the name is NEW.

Now for the important question. Has there ever been a saw maker named Jeremiah New? The answer is yes, and he lives on page 445 of BSSM. His early date also matches the characteristics of your saw. I believe the words on your very handsome saw are JEREMIAH NEW.

Bob

Underthedirt and David like this.
  3. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Bob
    I k"New" this would be solved and I think you have nailed it perfectly, so thank you very much. Fresh knowledgeable eyes.... problem solved. Probably puts the saw in the 1830-40 range of his operations.
    I can rest peacefully tonight. hahahahahaha
    thanks again
    Joe S.

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Congratulation Bob and Joe, wonderful detective work. Very impressed, both by the saw and the decoding of the makers name. :)

Regards
    Ray