Medallions only, no saws Chas Gray, London Spring + Taylor

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Dec 3, 2010.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I thought that I would put these on in case that they are of any interest to anyone. The person who I got them off said that he had burnt the woodwormy handles and scrapped the brass backs!!!!!!!!!!!. I have asked him to let me know if he is going to do it again.

Lets get the worst out of the way first. Ignore the Taylor, it is modern and rubbishy but I am fascinated by the sheep with the halo.

The other two are different. The Chas Gray could be from either the early1900's or the mid 1800's. I suspect the latter but without the saw it is speculation. It is 3/4 inch in diameter and it is flat ground round the edge with a slim shank. The trade mark may be of help if anyone comes across a partial one on an etch.

The London Spring I find very interesting. I must have looked at 100's of saws by now (probably not many compared with some of you) but I have never knowingly seen a London Spring medallion before. The only place that it may have been was on a three medallion Groves that was sold on Ebay not that long ago, but I could not see the medallion detail. This again is 3/4 inch diameter but this time with a rim that comes to an edge and a much fatter shank.

I suspect that it must have been quite a classy saw that it came off. Has anyone got a saw with this on, or an image of one. I would love to see it in context.

There is not much more to say on these, but I do have an explanation for Ray of the I Sorby Punchinello.

He was a clown in Naples in the early 1600's in the Commedia Dell'Arte, and has since been changed or corrupted into the Mr. Punch of Punch and Judy.
    Which to me is what the I Sorby trade mark looks like. I may be wrong. I often am.

Fred.

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      44.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      48 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
  2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the I Sorby, Punchinello connection, I think you are right, it does look more like a "Punch & Judy" Punch than a court jester, I found a wikipedia article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_and_Judy

Pleased as punch!

Back to medallions, I've never seen a "London Spring" one either, I wonder which was considered better quality, the "Warranted Superior", or the "London Spring"

Regards
    Ray