Mathieson and Livingston handsaws

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Roddyjb

Roddyjb Member

I DON'T SEE ANY ETCHING ON THE BLADE
    BUT HERE IS A CLOSE-UP OF THE HANDLE - IT SURE LOOKS ORIGINAL TO ME.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Yes. I think so. If it was cut in afterwards then the ridge between the two sections would most likely come to a sharp edge.
    So ... that's pretty interesting.

Any etch or (sometimes quite shallow) stamp you can find on the blade might be helpful.

Out of the Disston, Atkins and GH Bishops saws I have with that swoopy diagonal sort of handle, none of the slide gently down to the bottom of the handle like that. So I'd be looking to the 'less well known' US makers like Bakewell, WMC etc ... or as said I think, Canada ... eg Shurly&Dietrich.

Cheers,
    Paul

There's one a bit like it here p.49 (1902 cat) http://toolemera.com/catpdf/shurlydietrichCat1902Sec.pdf
    but they all copied off each other! so if there's one there'll be others most likely.
    http://toolemera.com/Manufacturers & Merchants/Mfg. opqrs/mfg.-shurlydietr.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  3. pmcgee

I will mention in passing I have an Alex Mathieson etched handsaw ... made by who knows ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sharpened Peg-tooth!

[​IMG]

4. Roddyjb

Roddyjb Member

etching

I keep looking at it, hoping to find some sort of etching but my old eyes aren't seeing one. I will try different light under magnification and see if I have any more luck.

5. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Interesting Mathieson Paul. (Not many peg tooth supporters around ! )

Rod, I'd guess your handsaw is from Wheeler Madden Clemson if your saws come from USA, [Scan of 1895 WMC catalog page attached]
    or R H Smith if they're from Canada. , [picture of a couple of my R H Smith saws with this type of handle (mine are skew back but the RHSmith catalogue states "either hollow or straight back at same price" )]

Attached Files:

6. pmcgee

---> I should really open my eyes and read first before posting!
    :(

I think Kiwi got it ... I found that Toby has been holding out on us with some existing pics :)

R H Smith 4 1/2 pt Rip Saw Patented Dec 27 1887

http://www.woodworkforums.com/album.php?albumid=880&attachmentid=230532

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. pmcgee

WMC @ TGIAG ...

[​IMG]

8. Roddyjb

Roddyjb Member

That sure looks close alright. I couldn't get that link up.
    Rod

9. Roddyjb

Roddyjb Member

R.h. Smith

Anyone got an image of what the tching would look like for this being an R.h. Smith saw? I will look closer at balde & see if I can find any remnants of the etching.
    Rod

10. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

R H Smith

Pics of an R H Smith etch on a handsaw, and a slightly clearer almost identical etch on a crosscut.
    Since your saw has a Warranted Superior medallion, there is likely an additional etch for a hardware/merchant store (or that etch might replace the RH Smith etch)

Attached Files:

11. Roddyjb

Roddyjb Member

Etching

I FOUND TRACES OF THE ETCHING AND I DON'T THINK IT MATCHES R.H. SMITH
    TOMORROW IN DAYLIGHT i WILL TRY TO GET ANY IMAGES OF THE ETCHING

12. Roddyjb

Roddyjb Member

R. H. Smith

R. H. Smith it appears to be. Under magnification I can see traces of what looks like the R. H. Smith etching pictured above. I have cleaned up the blade & got a better look.

13. Roddyjb

Roddyjb Member

Have to sell them

Just a heads up! My car just blew up and I need to buy a replacement. Was not expecting this expense on my pension so now I have given my Livingston backsaw & Smith handsaw over to be sold. They are both listed on eBay now in case any of you are interested. I might end up listing some more tools that have been in the family for years.