Marshes & Shepherd oddity........

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by toolsntat, Jan 28, 2013.

1. toolsntat

toolsntat Member

Well after not being on here for a long time I thought you might like to see this un-drilled and ornately etched plate for a MARSHES & SHEPHERD saw.
    Could this have been a reject for an exhibition grade saw due to the poor etching in the area where Britannia is depicted?
    Do any other saws bear this engraving?
    Need to try and take some better pictures.
    Would there be a way of making the etching stand out better?
    Cheers
    Andy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Marshes and Shepherd oddity

A great find, Andy. I'm envious.

I speculate that this was indeed one that went wrong in the etching process, which would have been complex and very readily spoilt, as it probably needed several separate etching transfers, and in the process one could have spoilt one part previously etched. Hence it was never handled. It might well have been being prepared as a one-off special for an exhibition like the 1851 or 1862, as it resembles one I've seen by Jonathan Beardshaw which I surmise was done for the 1851. The 1851 Great Exhibition catalogue lists one by Samuel Biggin which was an illustration of the Crystal Palace, but I don't think that has survived.
    If you send me your personal email, I will send back a version of one of your illustrations that I've put through the Mac photo improving process (poor man's version of photoshop, I suspect). It makes it stand out a bit more .

Best wishes Simon (barleys@mac.com)

3. toolsntat

toolsntat Member

Great stuff Simon , I thought it looked a bit special.
    Etching this sort of intricate design just blows me away and I take my hat off to those who did it.
    You have e-mail and as I have said within I will hopefully show you it at Stanley's next sale.....
    Cheers
    Andy

4. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Marshes and Shepherd oddity

Hey Andy
    I can't concur more with what Simon said other than what a Wonderful Thing. I would assume that the area that didn't quite make the cut was the area to the left which must have had a lion and the figure of a woman. Lovely.
    Very envious
    Joe S.