M. Schwartz Back Saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by TobyC, Jun 10, 2013.

1. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

2. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

OK that's weird, I copied and pasted the url and it linked by itself!

Toby (in the Twilight Zone)

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Toby,
    One reference;

"Beginning in the 1830s, and continuing for an estimated span of thirty years, many makers imprinted double eagles in the saw's back. M. Schwartz (before he moved to Bangor, Maine) was the first that I know of to do so. Schwartz used an eagle that I have seen only on Boston saws."

From Phil Baker, here..

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-saws/z_reading/amBacksaw/amBacksaw2.asp

4. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Thanks Kiwi,
    So he's a real saw maker, and not just a name on someone else's saw. (maybe)

Toby

5. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Aha!

Schwartz, Michael Bangor 1843-1880-
    Tools Made: Files, Rules, Saws, Squares, and Other Tools
    Remarks: After working in the Boston area from 1839-43, where he may or may not have been involved with making tools, Schwartz moved to Bangor, Maine, where he became quite involved with the tool business working with at least five different companies, some concurrently. He began making saws and continued that business for quite some length, but also made files briefly, worked with Job Collett around 1855, and made rules and squares as a partner in Darling & Schwartz from before 1852 to 1868. His other tool activities included making shingle machines and patenting a hoop splitter/shaver, which may not have been made. There is also a possibility that he made the Evans iron circular plane (28 Jan. 1862 and 22 March 1864 patents). M. Schwartz's Sons succeeded him in the saw business by 1888. (DATM, 1999).

From HERE.

And they continued...

Schwartz's Sons, Michael Bangor -1888-1914
    Tools Made: Saws
    Remarks: This company succeeded Michael Schwartz.

Toby

6. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Toby et al
    I would have to say a nice saw in very good condition. I am glad Toby you included the rest of the articles from the other site. When I first saw it I wouldn't have said it wasn't that early because of the handle but I change my mind on that. Following from Phil's observation I would have thought there might have been an eagle also. The Boston stamp I would say predates Bangor.
    This advertisement is from the Bangor Daily Whig and Courier 1844-04-06. Wild graphics with odd shaped saw handles. He certainly was a SAW Maker.

http://newspaperarchive.com/bangor-daily-whig-and-courier/1844-04-06

great stuff there.
    Joe S.

7. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Thanks Joe,
    I like seeing the old ads, like stepping back in time.

Toby