Long Son and Hawksley

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Oct 13, 2012.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

If you look up the Long Hawksley timeline (thank you BuckGroves I had not thought of phrasing it like that) it goes thus:-

Long Hawksley and Marples 1852 to1856
    Long Hawksley Marples and Co. 1856 to 1865
    and
    Long Hawksley and Co.1868 to 1900.

Nowhere does the "Son" appear.

So, the simple question is:- "Where (when) does he fit in"?

Looking at the saw, especially with the slightly chamfered back down to the blade, I would put it as earlier in the proceedings rather than later, and although the saw is steel backed, the handle is 24mm thick and which is a fair old thickness if it is a later brand of one of the companies. Which, of course, it may be.

Still, it is a lovely saw to hold and when it had teeth I assume that it cut many a fine dovetail. :) cf. "Interesting Dovetail Saw by BuckGroves".

Without wishing really to ressurect the "Dovetail" discussion. Anyone any ideas about the Son?

Fred

I have just checked the Historical Directories and found that the above "timeline" may not necessarily be one as Long Hawksley and Co. appear in the same directory (Whites 1856 p 408) as Long Hawksley and Marples. They were therefore contemporaneous with, rather than successors to as implied by HSMOB. Were LH and Co. a brand, a separate company or a subsidiary?

It get interesting when things become as clear as mud!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,

My guesstimate age for your saw is about 1850-52, befrore Marples, assuming that this is the same Long as in the Long Hawksley Marples association
    Henry Long died 1853 and his son William died aged 19 in 1854

Wragg Long & Co - 1830s, 1840s
    ? Long Son & Hawksley ? early 1850s ?
    Long Hawksley & Marples established 1852

ref http://strazors.com/uploads/images/articles/H_G_Long.pdf

"Long, Son & Hawksley" is not mentioned in the above reference, and your saw doesn't have the trademark "shield with crossed daggers", so there is a minor possibility that this is a saw from a completely different Mr Long & Son than old Henry Godfrey Long and his son William (but there doesn't seem to be any other likely suspects in the directories I've looked at)

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,

I think I've got an upper limit for your saw date.

[​IMG]

Now the question is which one was the "Son" was it Henry Godfrey Lamb Long, taking over from his father Charles Gervis Long, or was it the lazy and wayward Charles being kicked out of the business?

Either way the partnership Long Son Hawksley would appear to have been dissolved on Feb 20th 1849, so i'd hazard a guess your saw pre-dates this.

Regards
    Ray

EDIT: I should have checked that Straight Razor reference Thanks Kiwi ( I would have looked up Teesdale, but the book has been misplaced)
    So it appears that Henry was the father, and Charles was the Son, maybe he showed up for work drunk one day and got booted out?

EDIT2: The Long Hawksley partnership was carried on by George Hawksley and Benjamin Marples after Henry's death in 1853

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  4. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Thanks both of you,

It clears up my saw and the "Son" very nicely. But it adds the problem that after 1854 there was no Long in either Long Hawksley and Marples or Long Hawksley and Co., unless of course another Long entered the fray from somewhere. Interesting. I shall have to sit down and look at the directories.

I have also just realised whilst browsing my photo files to input this saw, that I have a Long Hawksley and Co. lurking amongst the mothballs of my collection. I attach images below. It is not the best of saws or marks, but it will do for me.

All that I need now is a Long Hawksley and Marples and I will have one of each.

Fred

Attached Files: