L.W. Lindsley

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Jan 26, 2013.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I thought that I had this one pinned down at one stage but the Lindsley in question, whilst undoubtedly recorded as a Sawmaker, was one Thomas Lindsley from Croydon who can be found in the respective 1878 and 1891 directories.

Looking at the format of the stamp, especially with "George Street" inserted into it reminds me of the way that the London retailers (ironmongers?) marked their saws.

However, as far as Hastings goes, this man is not only elusive, he doesn't exist in any of the directories as far as I can see. And to add insult to injury I cannot find any Lindsleys at all in Hastings.

Anyone any ideas?

I am a bit baffled by the saw as well. The lettering looks late-ish but it still has split nuts, and rather small ones as well, and whilst the back is steel, it is quite heavy. The blade is 8 1/2 inches long. I would have a WAG that the saw could be anywhere from the 1850's/60's except for the lettering.

An enigma, to me at least. Help.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

LWLindsley

Glad you got this one, Fred ( a high-class close up of the mark would cement our friendship even more, please). He baffled me too, but the librarian at Hastings public library (another big cheer for public libraries) replied at once to my enquiry, and I have been able to construct the following entry to add to the Croydon man (who I'm pretty sure was LW's father); he didn't last long:

LINDSLEY, Leonard W. HASTINGS

28 (35) (44) George Street 1900-1910

Variously described as ironmonger, cutler or saw maker. The 1901 census gives his trade as tool dealer and cutler working in steel, and his birthplace as Croydon, thus linking him firmly with the business below.

LINDSLEY, Thomas CROYDON

Duppas Hill Lane 1878

129A Church Street 1882

6 (8) Crown Hill, Church Street (and tool maker at 70A North End) 1890-1895

Saw manufacturer. See also L.H.Turtle.