Kington backsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Dorran, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Dorran

Dorran Member

I can't find anything about this maker. I am curious how old it is. The only things I know are it's 12" long, has a slight taper. Simple (and comfortable) 2 cove handle that seems to be oak (flecking on quartersawn cut). I think English because of the oak and Kington is a town, but I could be wrong.

The teeth are cut wierd; High and low pattern. Not sure if I should file the teeth and put it to work or set it aside.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello Dorran,

I can't offer any help with identification, but that high/low tooth pattern is sometimes the result of uneven filing while sharpening. I'm sure you could correct it and get that saw cutting well.
    David

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello Dorran,

I have just got everything wrong on David's Burgon/Green post so I may as well continue here.

I put a saw on a while ago, currently on page 6 under "??agstone and Co." but which really is Kingstone and whose handle (albeit mine is a handsaw) has similarities to yours especially by the looks of the wood. The consensus was that mine was beech even though I thought it was oak and so I will make no pronouncement on yours.

Kington is possiby a brand, but of who I don't know.

The handle style and flatness I would guess 1880+.

But I would wait for someone's post who knows before taking this seriously.

Fred

4. Dorran

Dorran Member

Thanks for the info. I thought maybe it was older because of split nuts and no medallion but I guess no medallion is standard for a small cheaper saw. It is still in great condition even if it's 100 years old.

5. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello Dorran,

Sorry for the brevity and the terseness of the first reply but it was done at 02:00 in the morning, I was dog tired and I had just been outbid on what I believe is a Kenyon Hutton and Co on Ebay. Terrible specemin but a maker and mark to die for but apparently and alas, not for me to buy.

Still, back to your saw. The notion of waiting for someonelse's opinion still stands, but the reason I believe that it may as late as I described is that it is a simple stamp on a steel back, and which normally (unless you are very lucky) denotes a brand and a later and less than premium quality saw.

Split nuts were used on British saws until World War 1 - ish and so, like London flat handles, they cannot really be used for dating. Also the grip part of the handle has quite a flattened face to it and which I always associate with later saws.

Hoping that I am wrong about it.

Fred

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

I'd give my vote for beech on this handle, and, in the absence of any other information on the word Kington, I'd suggest someone's second quality product. The handle is not top quality - 2 small screws, and very little decorative work - and an iron back. Date - c1880??

Kington is in Worcestershire, so a Birmingham maker??

On the other hand, and being really inventive (and Sh'd makers were certainly that in relation to 2nd quality names) - could one of the several makers with roots in North Derbyshire, less than 10 miles from the city centre, have used part of the village name of EcKINGTON (geddit??), where Biggin, Tyzack and others originally haled from.

7. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Simon,

I've come up with nothing on this maker, there is another Kington in Herefordshire http://www.kington.org.uk/ that's probably irrelevant.

At first I thought perhaps an Ironmonger or dealer located in Kington, but that doesn't quite make sense either, if you were an Ironmonger in Kington, you probably wouldn't put "Kington" as the mark.

So, my guess is also, that it's very likely a secondary product line, and probably only listed in catalogues.

Nothing in the EAIA directory. So, probably not American.. (that's not conclusive though) I wouldn't rule out the possibility it's an American makers secondary line, like Disston's Jackson..

Regards
    Ray

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  8. Dorran

Dorran Member

Thanks everybody. I'll make this a user saw. I think she has another 100 years left in her.

Dorran

9. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member