Kenyon's & Jones

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, Dec 9, 2021.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi all,
    I just realized that I've neglected to post this saw which I got on ebay almost a year ago. I've since given it to Simon Barley for the Kelham Island Museum collection.
    It's a very unprepossessing saw with an owner made handle and centuries of damage to the blade. But it does have an important stamp on the blade and still has one of it's original castellated nuts. It's likely to be the earliest Kenyon saw found to date. Robert Jones of course was the original saw maker for the Kenyons.
    Here are the images.
    David Kenyon-Jones saw full 2.jpeg Kenyon-Jones die stamp 2.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey David.
    Thanks for sharing this truly rare gem and then gifting it to a worthy collection. I don't think I will ever get there in my lifetime but we have now seen an example of an unusual stamp. I have also learned a new term.... "castellated nuts". Trying to add it to my every day conversation might be a fun challenge .
    enjoy
    Joe S.

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

I like the user made handle, it's an indication of the value and usefulness of the saw to it's owner. A reminder of a time when people used to fix things rather than discard and replace.

Thanks for the term castellated nuts, I initially read that as castrated nuts..... sorry.

Interesting saw, thanks for posting.