Ken Hawley Exhibition at Kelham Island Museum

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by ray, Feb 4, 2011.

1. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi All,

It came up during a recent email conversation with Simon that the Ken Hawley Exhibition at Kelham Island Museum is opening soon with some items of interest.
    Simon has been working there recently helping set up the saw exhibits (nice work if you can get it.. :) )

The web site has more information.
    http://www.hawleytoolcollection.com/

The Hawley Gallery
    http://www.hawleytoolcollection.com/index.php?sheffield-tool=hawley-gallery

A couple of things I found of particular interest, the exhibit is being set up in the old Wheatman and Smith Russell works, couldn't think of a more fitting site than a sawmaker's factory. Another interesting item, is that they have re-located the "Kangaroo Arch" from the Robert Sorby works at 44 Wellington Street, and having been rescued, it's now rebuilt on the front of the Wheatman & Smith works.

The star exhibit, would have to be the "Saw Wall", the web site just shows a few tantalizing glimpses....

It's heartwarming to see that significant efforts are being made to retain and preserve some of this heritage for future generations to marvel at, just as we marvel at them today...

Now, I **really** have to visit Sheffield someday!

Regards
    Ray

2. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Well, if we can get a private tour hosted by Simon, (where we can get our grubby fingers on the full extent of the saw collection), it might be worth coordinating a visit across the ocean. Ray, you have the furthest to travel, what date are you thinking of for a “Backsaw.netâ€￾ special event with the Hawley tool collection ?

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello All,

I phoned the museum today to see when the exhibition was opening, and although I did not get a fixed date (the reasons you will see later), I did manage to speak to someone called Ken who was the man himself.

I was told that the delivery men had just been and had deposited, in the middle of the floor in the display room approx. 1000 (I am sure that I did not get the quantity wrong) boxed saws. These, I presume will take a little while to set out and I am not that sure that Ken has that much assistance doing it.

If anywhere near 1000 is the case then this will be some exhibition. For those of you who are familiar with Homer Simpson, my reaction was a drool comparable to his drool over doughnuts. Saws mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I will go down as soon as it is open. One thing I did find out is that Ken does not like the term London Flat for the flat bottom of saw handles. They are London pattern handles with flat, bottom horns. (And I am not sure that even this is verbatim.)

It must be worth a visit from wherever you are when it is open.

Fred

4. lui

lui Most Valued Member

Did he want any volunteers for unpacking?

I suspect that most of the exhibition will be out of reach of the public, and unpacking would be a one off time to handle and inspect some interesting saws.

Regards

lui

5. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Lui,

The first question that he asked me when he knew that I was interested in saws was "Where do you live". I have nothing to base this on but I suspect that he does want help, and I know from the website that the museum/collection generally is looking for volunteers. If you are interested, give him a call, he is very approachable.

Fred

6. ray

Hi Kiwi,
    A little less of the "grubby hands" if you please, :) I was thinking more like white cotton gloves... :)

As far as getting over to the UK, my son has recently accepted a job in Austria, so maybe a visit to Europe to see the grandkids might be on the cards in the next few years.

Ok, that's it...I'll start packing my bags..... :)

As far as nomenclature is concerned, Ken is correct, we use a lot of terms that the saw makers of the day would not recognize, like "split nuts" "Medallion" "Dolphin Pattern", we really should try to use the same language that a saw maker of the day would have understood. That way we could avoid potential confusion when researching the literature.

That said, language evolves, and meanings of words get corrupted, "terrific" used to mean terrifying... I'm not sure you can freeze language it tends to have it's own momentum.

Regards
    Ray

7. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Ken Hawley at Kelham Island

It's really heartening to read so many comments like the ones on this thread!
    Sincere thanks to all, and if anyone would like to get up a working party, we'd be happy to have their help almost any time.
    But excuse me if I make a small correction: the total of saws (Ken's collection plus mine) will be about twice the suggested figure - 2000 in all. And they will all need to be cleaned, coated with Renaissance Wax and stored in the special space which we are delighted to have been allocated in the museum. I spent several days last week rebuilding Dexion shelving to take the saws which were about to be moved from the previous building.
    Off to see our daughter in sunny (we hope) California for 3 weeks tomorrow, but will post some photos of the new Saw Shop when I get back.
    Best wishes to all Simon

8. ray

Hi All,

I would stand corrected, but 2000 saws must surely rank as the world's largest exhibition.

The ghosts of the Wheatman & Smith workers will be happy and smiling to see their factory hosting such a grand collection.

I wish I was a few thousand miles closer, to have an opportunity to see it.

Plenty of photo's please, for us poor sods on the other side of the world.

Regards
    Ray

9. PeterEvans

PeterEvans Most Valued Member

Yes, a trip to Sheffield sounds like the order of the day! Like Simon I get to the US to see offspring from time to time (but in freezing Chicago). Perhaps a round-the-world ticket via Yorkshire... I spent a few years in the UK 40 odd years ago, but never actually got to Sheffield - look what I missed.

I have received very courteous help from the Museum staff - long distance - and I know they are very thin on the ground. And like Australia they get floods from time to time - not sure about the 10 year droughts though?

Cheers

10. ilges71

ilges71 Member

I would dearly love to get up to Sheffield to help, but am pretty fully occupied supporting our daughter through a messy divorce, following abuse, and providing child care much of the week. If anyone fixes up a date for work party, it might be enough for me to get a couple of days parole!!

If anyone wants cheapish accomodation Sheffield, try Travel Lodge Wooley Edge north or south, both about 10 or 15 miles north of Sheffield but most weeks they seem to have reduced price rooms, not very popular, but Nice enough rooms usually between £19 and £29 depending on how lucky you are. ( That is booking on line - £50 something to book normally) We use them visiting elderly relatives near there. They are on the M1 motorway for an easy run from Sheffield. Rooms have a double bed and a settee fold down which makes a comfortable single bed so sharing would be possible. The on site food place next door is not so good for breakfast though.
    Plenty of places in Sheffield but more expensive.

If you have another half to keep happy, Sheffield boasts Meadow Hall, an impressive palace of retail therapy!!

Graham

11. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Ken Hawley exhibition etc

Seriously - I've been wanting for some time to put on a conference/tour/working party on the theme of saws, based round the Hawley/Barley saw collections, including visits to the Sheffield libraries (full range of trades directories from 1774-1972 on open shelves), archives (original documents of S&J, Beardshaw and others from 1820's to be consulted), possibly even the Joseph Wilson snuff mill where his business documents going back to 1741 can be examined, field trips to Abbeydale, Elsecar (orginal Newcomen engine), tool factories etc etc. When I get home I will begin to explore the possibilities and post a programme - 2013??

Simon