Joseph Wreaks & Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by dyounmoses, Jun 4, 2018.

1. dyounmoses

dyounmoses Guest

045172A3-34E3-4FD3-B8CA-6A029D8ADCED.jpeg A742431C-FB74-47E2-A5B7-F91CB8FAFA24.jpeg I picked this early gem up recently at a flea market near Toledo, Oh. The handle and spine are in remarkable shape, the plate toast. I had to do a light cleaning on the spine to reveal the makers mark otherwise as found. The pictures are offered for your consideration and appreciation. The plate mics at a thin .016” with surface rust. It was likely <\= .015” at birth. The handle is a tad loose, the split nuts look to have been tightened once in the past.
    David Young

Attached Files:

Underthedirt likes this.
  2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey David
    Nice early saw and I would think very very uncommon. Simon has him as a successor to Thomas Boulsover and Samuel Mitchell for a few years from 1821-23. From Simon's musings it may have been more complicated. I don't know if you jointed the teeth or it came that way but it would seem it isn't going to cut much. For an almost 200 year old saw, the handle is in wonderful condition. This isn't a user any more as is and would be a delight, hanging on the wall, as a terrific representation of the very best in early vintage saws.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

3. dyounmoses

dyounmoses Guest

This saw handle truly intrigues me it’s shape and fit are comfortable ( only a hair small for my slightly larger than average modern hand size). It is not to small or uncomfortable to hold. It’s moderate hang angle is not to high and combined with a canted tooth line should make a near perfect dovetail saw when combined with a plate set up with fine teeth. The plate is 9 15/16” long and has “slipped” in the spine resulting in a wavy tooth line. The split nuts are likely grooved by the harder steel plate that accounts for the slop in the handle fit. The handle is beech and there are some fine rasp marks on the underside of the top horn indicating it has had some damage cleaned up that resulted in a slightly shortened length/shape
    David