John Cockerill Sovereign etch

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Aug 5, 2015.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

Whilst not a new saw make/maker to me the etch is new.

The company of Rye and Co. existed both before and after the reign of Edward VII and so it is a good bet that this saw was made between 22nd January 1901 and 6th May 1910.

I am also assuming that, as the wording/lettering on the central etch is the same as on the coinage at the time, then this probably alludes to the word Sovereign as used in coinage and is similar to the usage of Guinea on the Taylor Brothers saw of that name.

It also has an interesting nib arrangement and none-standard slots in the saw screws.

Fred

Edit. Sorry, completely wrong on this "so it is a good bet that this saw was made between 22nd January 1901 and 6th May 1910." as the Guinea saw should have told me. Said saw referring to a Georgian coin but made in a later monarch's reign.

As has already been pointed out to me elsewhere, such an image probably would not have appeared prior to Victoria's death, but may have appeared at any time thereafter.

I have also been sent a catalogue image of this saw with the words "S and J's improved flat brass screws" and so it may well be that the screws are original to this saw.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015