Jackson Stacey & Smith

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Oct 19, 2011.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Jackson Stacey & Smith backsaw (The last of the Three saws noted in the Lloyd Davis thread).
    This saw has done some work. The saw plate is worn down so far that now the base of the handle is also being worn down. General outline and construction looks fairly ordinary, but the feature that enticed me to buy it was the name stamp I didn't recognize.

Once I got it home, some internet research suggests Jackson Stacey & Smith were a company set up specifically for the Sheffied export trade, dealing in several products. As general merchants, they are not listed in the HSMOB or HSMONA lists of sawmakers.

They were listed on Charlotte St in Sheffield, under “merchants factors and manufacturersâ€￾, in Slater's 1847 Directory.
    New York Tribune ads in 1844, 1845 have them at 16 Platt St in New York City, listed as “Manufacturers and Importers of Pen, Pocket and Table Cutlery, Razors, Scissors, Files, Saws, Tools, and other descriptions of Sheffield Goodsâ€￾

[?? possible connection to Sheffield's Spear & Jackson sawmakers, Stacey & Co cutlers, John Smith pre Wheatman & Smith sawmaker.........??]

So, if this saw is from the 1840s, its not surprising that it looks a little worn out !
    It deserves a little more respect than I gave it at first glance :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Jackson, S & S

If it comes to moving continents, I wouldn't mind the chance to pick up saws like this one!
    I'm guessing it was factored for this partnership of merchants - by whom??
    As for date I'd put it at a bit later than 1840s, as the lowest word is again in italic letters - so 1860s-ish? But not much later.
    There were certainly Stacey saw makers, Jackson saw makers and Smith saw makers, and if only life was long enough it would possibly be feasible to look through other documents like parish registers or wills to narrow down the culprits.

The saw certainly deserves respect, as it's a London Spring (ie top-most quality) saw and in the hands of the right saw doctor could be brought back to being a lovely working tool.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Jackson, Stacey and Smith

Never trust anybody who claims expertise.

I guessed not as early as the 1840s, and - well, well - I was dead wrong.

I got to the Sheffield City library today and found this firm in the trade directories: they are certainly interesting!
    1841: (Henry) Jackson, Son [?who he] & George Stacey, pen and pocket knife cutlers at 34 Charlotte street [ie Small time operators]
    1845: Jackson, Stacey & Smith, spring knife cutlery manufacturers, S/A [The only year in which this partnership is listed as such: there wasn't much difference in describing themselves as spring knife, as opposed to pen and pocket knife cutler; I couldn't identify Smith by first name]
    1849 (William) Jackson, (William) Smith & Co, merchants and file etc manufacturers (also listed under pen&pocket knife cutlers); they gave two addresses - one was 25 Union Street, at which they were separately listed (under "Merchants") as Merchants, but also as cutlers at 99 Norfolk Street [a prestigious address on Sheffield's equivalent of London's Regent Street]; but an Edmund Smith was listed as a surgeon at 99 Norfolk Street. and William Jackson ("In the firm of Jackson, Smith & Co") as a surgeon at 18 Bank Street and 15 Gell Street.
    1852 Alfred Jackson, merchant, 18 Bank Street, (house) 15 Gell Street, and William Jackson & Sons, surgeons, at the same addresses.
    1856 and 1859, same names and details as 1852, and in 1859 also Edmund Smith, surgeon, at 6 Gell Street [prob his house].
    I didn't go any further, as I wasn't particularly interested in tracing the surgeons.
    Conclusion: a brief partnership of cutlers and merchants who undoubtedly factored this saw, which should be dated very little later than 1850.
    But I have never come across cutlers moonlighting as surgeons - yes, the mind boggles, and maybe Ray could construct one of his little vignettes to tie all the information together. There is plenty of evidence that saw makers (and lots of other tradesmen) combined their trade with keeping a shop or a pub, but surgery?!?

Very grateful to kiwi for giving me the opportunity to research this one.

4. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Simon, Simon, you, of all people, should recognize the connection between those in the medical field and dealers of saws. Of course, you are moving in the opposite direction to those Sheffield surgeons,... sort of completing the historic loop ? (maybe Ray's vignette might include something on re-incarnation ?)

joking aside; Thanks for the additional history on Jackson Stacey & Smith, as saw merchants and surgeons. Historical mining is so interesting !