J&I Taylor Rip Saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by enjuneer, Oct 7, 2016.

1. enjuneer

enjuneer Member

I recently acquired an old saw in an auction lot. This particular one caught my eye because of the rather severe hang angle of the tote. The stamp on the plate is "J&I Taylor Sheffield Cast Steel". It must have been a beastly saw to use, as it is filed with 3 1/2 tpi rip teeth for most of its length, with a short section of 4 1/2 tpi rip teeth at the toe. Three of the four screws holding the tote to the plate are broken, perhaps due to the force required to push the saw.

Some references place this trademark in the 1840-1855 time period. Can anyone provide more enlightenment?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

There is an almost identical handle to yours in BSSM on p.94. It has the sharply angled shoulder going up from the beak at the top and a W/S medallion.

It is dated around 1860. It should not be much before that and possibly even a little later into the 1860's on the basis of the W/S medallion alone (BSSM page 85).

I have a 1918 Taylor Bros rip with 3 points per inch at the heel and probably made for speed rather than delicacy.

Fred

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

In 1918 they had to cut fast – there was a war on, after all…

Agree with the dating (I would, wouldn't I?); The mark remained one used by Taylor Brothers well towards the end of the 19th century, but I couldn't say when they stopped using it on hand saws, although it was still on backsaws in their 1932 catalogue.
    I'm v interested to think that the screws might have got broken because of the force required to use the saw – I've never thought of that before, but will keep a look out for other examples.
    Simon

4. steveatkinson

steveatkinson Most Valued Member

Wow, I can see the beauty that drew you, or at least the entire package looks to be the business. I have never tried to push or pull a saw with 31/2 Tpi I do own a saw with 41/2 tpi, I used to think it was a race horse until I got my hands on it.
    AS I said it cut wood wet or dry in double quick time, I was even newer to saw filing then than I am now, so my thoughts on improving the performance of my saw did not quite work out as planned, I am pretty sure I know the error of my ways, it still cuts well but I need some one with a lot more power than me to push or pull it, saw set, I was more than a little to keen and gave it too much set. I have never had the heart to go and try to readjust it, I am sure there will come a time when I once again convince myself I know what I am doing and have another try, mean time, trying to cut straight is task enough.
    The saw is stunning, regarding dates, I am sorry, I am not sure on that at all.