J Frost Norwich

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Sep 7, 2015.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

When I first bought HSMOB and looked up a saw by "Frost Dove Street Norwich" for the first time, the attribution therein to a Frost of Norwich in Dove Street was from a "saw only" and the dates given were 1830. Even in those early days I could see that the saw was a lot later than 1830 and from thereon in I have wanted to own one, but they all seem to fetch silly prices, especially the brass backed saws.

To be fair to HSMOB there is also a mention of J Frost, St John's, Madder Market, Norwich.

Now the eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that I still do not have a nice "Frost Dove Street Norwich" brass backed saw, but the J Frost version in a rather down-at-heel iron/steel backed saw.

BSSM does not distinguish between "Frost Dove Street" and "J Frost" as makers and as far as marks go, the classic "Frost Dove Street" mark is dated at around 1860 and 1900. "J Frost" is not recorded as a mark but there is a mark in a similar font dated at around 1880. I would think, however, that with the rounded nose to the back of this saw it must be nearer to, or after, the turn of the century.

BSSM goes on to state that there is no evidence in the directories (hence the lack of a reference in HSMOB preumably) that there ever was a works in Dove Street and the only reference to such an address was found in the company records after it ceased trading in 1971.

Dove Street is apparently very close to St John's Street.

At least this saw will go with my Frost Norwich saw vice.

Fred

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Fred,

I'd say its pretty special to have a matching saw and saw vice from this uncommon maker

David likes this.