J. Eagers, Derby

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by summerfi, Feb 4, 2015.

1. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi all,
    I'm wondering if anyone has information on the maker of this saw. The brass back is stamped J. Eagers over Derby. I found one google reference to his name being on a plane iron, but nothing else. Thanks.

Bob

IMG_0859.jpg IMG_0889.jpg

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Bob,

There is a Joseph Eagers who is listed as a Cutler on page 159 of Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire 1895. (Page 174 if you are searching the website's page numbering system.

He is living at 24, Saddlergate, Derby.

I haven't looked for start and finish dates for him as Historical Directories is such a pain to search and is so slow nowadays. But the date looks about right for the saw.

If you have Simon's e-mail it may be worth dropping him a note as I cannot see this maker/retailer listed in his book and may well want an image of the mark..

Fred

3. summerfi

Thanks Fred. That is earlier than I would have guessed. I emailed pictures to Simon as you suggested, so perhaps he will weigh in as well.

Bob

4. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

My thanks to you both for the information and the pics. That other vital source for tool makers, British Plane Makers, has Joseph Eagers at several places in Saddlegate (Sic: the current street plan of Derby has the spelling Sadle Gate Street – 3 words, one d) between 1876 and until after 1950. The editors of BPM remark that "This firm was most particular in marking its name on items that it sold although it never made any of them" and reproduce a mark from a plane that is very similar to Bob's saw. My own guess from the appearance of the saw is c1910...

5. summerfi

Thank you Simon. That's very helpful information.

Bob