J. Andrew saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Kalon, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Kalon

Kalon New Member

Trying to find more on the background of J. Andrews...How is he tied in with Groves? Many Thanks..........Mac

Andrew1 (640x480).jpg

Andrew2 (640x480).jpg

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Mac,

I can only speculate as I don't know as such, but if you have got the connection from HSMOB, the implication there is that John Henry Andrew and Co. operated as a separate entity between 1878 and 1879 certainly as a merchant and possibly as a manufacturer but he appears to have made saws for Groves between 1849 and 1856 (as per Whites 1852- p.52 as did a Joseph Andrew)

John Henry Andrew was still making saws in Whites 1862, ( p.46 and still for Groves) and it is Joseph Andrew who is the file maker at this time.

This is where it gets a little confusing as, per HSMOB, in 1879 John Henry Andrew is now making steel and files and rollers at the Toledo Works (but not, it appears - saws.) There is still a Joseph Andrew (j)?? filemaker but there is also a Joseph Arnold Andrew who works for John Henry.:confused:

So, somewhere between 1862 and 1879 John Henry stops making saws for Groves and sets up making things (and presumably saws as one of those things as you have an example of one, albeit this is not recorded) for himself. Although when he worked for Groves whether he was an employee or a sub-contractor is unclear, but I am sure that Simon will have something to say on it.

Now, if Simon hadn't have mentioned in a previous thread that Groves made chamfered backs well into the late 19th century I would have put this saw at the start of John Henry's recorded career when a sawmaker for Groves, but as it is, all bets on this are now off.

This is as clear as mud to me. I hope that it is a little better for you.

Fred