Irish saw ??

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Mar 1, 2012.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

This is the first Irish badged saw that I have seen.

I put the question mark in the title because whilst the saw undoubtedly says "Booth Brothers Dublin", I have grave doubts as to whether it was made there.

It is a typical 1880's+ cheapie. It looks just like a lot of the saws made in Sheffield at this time and so I wondered whether they were suppliers of this saw as opposed to manufacturers.

There is a bit on Google about them - see below

From Henry Shaws Dublin City Directory 1850
    Booth, Brothers, and Co., 21 Christehurch place and Talibart, 4 Stephen's green, North
    James, 4 Stephen's green
    James 49 Stephen street
    Jones, 41 Upper Rutland street
    Joseph and Francis, 159 Gloucester street, Lower, and Darver Castle, Castlebellingham
    Joseph and James, 35 Golden lane M., 19 Meath street

It looks like they did lathes/attachments in 1873

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/shapely-planer-lathes-112030/

and probably went from 1850 to 1920.

From the Powerhouse Museum result on Google - Made: Booth Bros; Dublin, Ireland; 1850 - 1920 ...

They seem to have done a lot of hand planes judging from the Google results. And the "planemakers database" has them from 1875 to 1900

From http://www.lathes.co.uk/boothbrothers/

Booth Brothers were know for their woodworking tools, but whether these lathes were manufactured by them, or badged from another makers, is not known.

So, does anyone know a definitive answer to the manufacturing question, or can anyone point me in the direction of further resaerch.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

"......So, does anyone know a definitive answer to the manufacturing question, or can anyone point me in the direction of further resaerch. ....."

I can't give you a definitive answer, so I'd suggest you take the saw to Dublin, go to some old establishments, and offer copious amounts of Guinness to get the locals to tell you the true history of this saw (I bet you'd get some good stories ! )

Try to get a research grant to cover some expenses (Simon knows about research grants for handsaw studies )

It looks like a nice older saw, with its tapered nose on the handle.
    If its been made by others (seems quite possible with Booth's wide range of products ) perhaps there was a Sheffield sawmaker with a Dublin office and saws with the same 3 screw, London pattern, configuration. Otherwise, it seems a tough slog to review all the manufacturer saw models of that era in the hope of finding a match.

Interesting tooth design at the toe where the toothline curves up for the first few teeth (likely a user made feature) Also seems to have an extra wide nib, (maybe also not original ?)