Industrial relations at R Sorby and Sons

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by purfler, Jun 19, 2012.

1. purfler

purfler Most Valued Member

This isn't quite about dating specific saws, but may be of interest and points to a source that might useful for other tool history research.

The National Library of Australia has a terrifically useful project to digitise and make available all newspapers published in the country. See: http://trove.nla.gov.au/

In an idle moment I searched for Sorby saw. This is one of the hits, it comes from the Hobart Mercury of 26 February 1868.

"On Monday last seven driving bands and the nuts of seven glasers (?) were removed from the Roscoe grinding-whool at Stonnington, the property of Messrs. R. Sorby and Sons, saw manufacturers, of Carvor-street, Sheffield. Messrs. Sorby have no dispute with the Sawgrinders' Union, and have no obnoxious hands in their employ. No reason can be assigned for this outrage, and Messrs. Sorby have at once suspended all their sawgrinders, and declared that they will give out no work until the missing articles are restored or new ones supplied."

So they thought their staff were OK, but had no compunction in handing out collective punishment to a group of them.

The article raises some questions in my mind: were the workers, or sawgrinders at least, on piece-work? How many would ther have been - at least 7, one for each of the glasers (? I cannot read the word clearly). What has happend to the archives of R Sorby and Sons and of the Sawgrinders Union?

Regards,

Tim

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Tim,

Try searching for "Sheffield Outrages" there's plenty of material on the 1867-1869 Outrages, there are some books just dedicated to the subject.

My favourite reference however would have to be the contribution of the Sheffield University Drama Society...

We hope you didn't miss Sheffield's very own play. 'The Stirrings' tells of the 'orrible outrages in this city in the 1860s in action, song and dance. First produced at the old Sheffield Playhouse and later presented at The Crucible, this funny and lively play has earned a well-respected place in the city's theatrical history.

A lively tale of murder arson, intimidation of non-union workers by unionists..

The history of the JB Addis battles with Ward and Payne workers over chisel grinding is a good read if you can find it.. I can't find the reference anymore...

Performed at the "Crucible" no less...

Regards
    Ray

3. purfler

Thanks Ray, I had no idea about the Sheffield outrages. It is a very long time since I did any industrial history - I look forward to learning more about it. It is actually to social history of the tools that interests me as much as the objects themselves. My plane collecting has now narrowed to post WW2 Australian made - except the odd really good find like a Bedrock for $30, or an 1840s moulding plane for $5. After the war Australia had the baby boom like much of the rest of the world. Housing construction skyrocketed and many people built all or part of their homes in the new suburbs. Tariffs protected Australian industry and to capitalise on the market many tools were made locally. They werre of variable quality. Some were very good and sought after (like Titan chisels and gouges). Many fell victim to the Microsoft of the tool industry - Stanley. I particularly like Turner planes which were only made for ten years before being swallowed up.

Regards,

Tim

4. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Industrial relations of R Sorby

This is all about one of the most interesting 19th century examples of a prolonged industrial dispute, which was about the mechanisation of grinding. It came to an end only when the government appointed a special commission which took evidence on condition that those who admitted wrong-doing would not be prosecuted. The resultant 1867 Report, from which Tim quotes, was reprinted in 1971 with a long and very perceptive introduction by Sidney Pollard (professor economic history in Sheffield). The whole thing is a fascinating read and well worth searching out in a library.

Glasers were a variety of grindstone (to glaze, ie put the final polish on, saws). If the nuts that held the stone in place on the shaft were removed the stone could not be used; similarly, to cut the leather driving bands that transferred power from water wheel to stone would also prevent any work being done. All work in what were called the Sheffield light trades then (and till very recently) was piece work. But saw grinding was fantastically heavy work!

5. purfler

Thanks for this, I'll get Prof Pollard's book when I'm back at work next week (I work at a university).

Tim

EDIT: Just checked the catalogue, they don't hold it - just two sets of the Royal Commission proceedings - which I cannot borrow as they are in Rare Books. I chase it throug inter-library loan.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012