Ibbotson Hoole and Co.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Aug 29, 2013.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

This saw must have been re-handled at some stage, or at the very least a medallion put into the existing handle. Otherwise it is a real oddball.

The Warranted Superior medallion puts it into the 1860's, but the company is only recorded (according to HSMOB) as being in operation in 1828/29. This I assume is from Pigots 1829/29 p. 1094 at Wheat Croft.

In Gell 1825 there is a Hoole and Pinder at White Croft (near enough) and in Whites 1833 there are a number of Ibbotsons and Hooles but not together in the saw making business.

It is also has cast.steel and which puts it in this earlier time-frame.

It is quite a large saw, having a 16 inch blade.

It isn't in a wonderful condition but I have wanted a Hoole for a long time because I knew a person at work with that surname who also came from Sheffield.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. Deesinister

Deesinister Most Valued Member

Odd is good.

Hi Fred,
    I think your right about the rehandling. That lamb's tongue looks a little clunkyl. What wood do you suppose it is. Still good fun though. How does it cut?
    Al

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Al,

I am not that good on woods, but the handle has medullary rays and so I assume that it is beech, as I have been told that oak was not popular for handles.

Neither am I that good on assessing the cutting characteristics of saws, my joinery skills extending to not much beyond butt jointing 4x2's using modern hardpoints.

But I was pleasantly surprised with this. Even in it's current state it cuts differently but acceptably well. Its nice to have the back supply the downward pressure as opposed to me.:)

Fred