Holtzapfell saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Deesinister, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Deesinister

Deesinister Most Valued Member

I am new to the forum so Hello to all. :)

I bought this at a swap meet over here in Perth Australia.
    It has a Holtzapffell and Co Blade. Not sure if the handles original though. It also seems to have some markings on it. Any more info would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

I can only tell you what is in HSMOB. They have Holtzapffel and Co. being in business from 1828 to 1922 in London.

They are described as Merchant (Tool makers and Factors) at an address of 64 Charing Cross Road, SW.

This is just my sort of saw - battered and bruised but with that certain something about it. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that in date it was a lot nearer to 1828 than 1922, but with the firm running for so long and so it could be a later saw, but of less than premium quality. I think and hope not, especially when you look at the handle and the really chunky cheeks that it has on it - they must be early.

Do you think that it has been cut down at some stage? The stamp is very near the front end but the photo is a little dark to see the front of the blade properly. It doesn,t matter if it has - it just adds to the idosyncracy (if that is a word) of the saw.

Fred

3. Deesinister

Thanks Fred

Yes you may be right about it being shortened as the blade was protruding a little, so the end hadn't been closed off. Hard tot tell though without seeing another Holtzapffell saw. Certainly quirky. Ill shall restore and have some fun with it I think.

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Deesinister,

First, welcome to the forum.. interesting saw for a first post.

I agree with Fred's keen observation that it appears to have been shortened somewhat, if you look at the hang angle, it would be more appropriate for a longer saw.

Back to Holtzapffel, there is of course the web site, devoted to just Holtzapffel, mostly related to ornamental turning, but some history and biographies are here http://holtzapffel.org/biographies.html

Regards
    Ray

5. Deesinister

Thanks Ray

Thanks Ray for the warm welcome and the link.
    I've also just noticed that its spelt wrongly.
    My "Holtzapffell" has two LL's.
    Hmmmm.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011