Henry Rich

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Feb 2, 2012.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

This saw has a touch of the Charles Calow {Beardshaw} about it. (see page 2 currently).

And I would not have found it at all except for the Online Directories highlighting the abbreviation of Rich for "Richard".

The "Richard" in this case being, I hope, Henry Richard Horsfield who is the "H" in RR&H, Rodgers, Russell and Horsfield. I had never heard of these but HSMOB has them down as 1847 to 1852 and which seems about right from the directories that I have looked through

By 1856 (Whites p.37 +149) they have lost the "Rodgers" and by 1862 Horsfield seems to have gone as well, being substituted by Thomas. (Provided that the Russell is the same one).

So this looks as though it may be from 1847 to 1862.

It is very light and probably not the best quality, but it does have 7/16th screws and an absolutely perfect handle.

I am assuming that it is a RR and H brand from the above WAG and again, any corrections gratefully received.

Fred

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      112.3 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      116.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Spot on, Fred! (I wondered who got this one)

Henry Rich was the second quality mark for these firms:

RODGERS, RUSSELL, HORSFIELD & Co SHEFFIELD
    60 Eyre Lane 1845-1852
    RUSSELL, Thomas
    6 Gloucester Street 1854 & 1859
    Canada Works, 38 Charles Street 1862-1876
    RUSSELL & HORSFIELD
    38 Charles Street 1854-1856
    RUSSELL, HORSFIELD & WHITE
    Canada Works, 38 Charles Street 1879-1884
    26 Charles Street 1887-1912
    Canada Works, 108 Charles Street 1913-1935
    1879: George Henry Horsfield and James White, saw manufacturers. Russell was listed separately both as a saw maker and as a steelmaker. From 1845-1852 the Charles Street address was also occupied by John Sanderson, his trade mark (First class+railway carriage) being adopted by Russell & Horsfield when they moved in. Judging by the probable date of the saws illustrated below [If I had the computer savvy, that is] , it seems likely that White’s name was not added to the makers’ mark, certainly in the late 19th century.
    Trade and second quality mark (last named company only): Henry Rich.
    (Will add the mark to the book, with your prior agreement - thanks a lot)
    Simon

3. Barleys

Spot on, Fred! (I wondered who got this one)

Henry Rich was the second quality mark for these firms:

RODGERS, RUSSELL, HORSFIELD & Co SHEFFIELD
    60 Eyre Lane 1845-1852
    RUSSELL, Thomas
    6 Gloucester Street 1854 & 1859
    Canada Works, 38 Charles Street 1862-1876
    RUSSELL & HORSFIELD
    38 Charles Street 1854-1856
    RUSSELL, HORSFIELD & WHITE
    Canada Works, 38 Charles Street 1879-1884
    26 Charles Street 1887-1912
    Canada Works, 108 Charles Street 1913-1935
    1879: George Henry Horsfield and James White, saw manufacturers. Russell was listed separately both as a saw maker and as a steelmaker. From 1845-1852 the Charles Street address was also occupied by John Sanderson, his trade mark (First class+railway carriage) being adopted by Russell & Horsfield when they moved in. Judging by the probable date of the saws illustrated below [If I had the computer savvy, that is] , it seems likely that White’s name was not added to the makers’ mark, certainly in the late 19th century.
    Trade and second quality mark (last named company only): Henry Rich.
    (Will add the mark to the book, with your prior agreement - thanks a lot)
    Simon
    PS I'd date this 1870-ish, judging by the info above and the style of the mark (mainly the lower case for Sheffield)

4. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Thanks Simon,

When Horsfield disappeared from the company line that I was following in 1862, I did not look any further.

I have also made the same mistake twice by misreading the directories and thinking that Thomas Russell and Co was Russell, Thomas and Co. Silly! Silly! Silly! Must do better.

In Whites(?) 1862 I can see no Horsfield but, as you say Russell seems to be a separate entity. Was he trading with, but also independently of Horsfield as well??

Curious

Fred

5. Barleys

There could be several explanations, from sheer incompleteness on the part of the directory publisher, to a firm that retained names from previous existences, or to different activities of the same firm being registered under different combinations of the partners' names.
    You choose!