Hancox

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, Dec 11, 2014.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Interesting that if you go to the LondonLives website that David provided, and use the search function with "sawmaker" , then you get quite a few unfamiliar names of sawmakers from the 1700s

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

At least we now know who made Howell's saw screws.

Old Bailey Proceedings:
    Old Bailey Proceedings: Accounts of Criminal Trials

27th October 1802
    About this dataset

Currently Held: Harvard University Library

LL ref: t18021027-76

823. ARMELL JONES was indicted for feloniously stealing, on the 14th of August , a saw-set, and eight dozen of brass saw-screws , the property of Joseph Howell .

JOSEPH HOWELL sworn. - I live at Chelsea , and am a saw-maker ; in consequence of suspicion, I went to the prisoner's house, and by his wife I saw the saw-set, which I knew to be my property; he turned his back to me, took up the saw-set, and carried it to the other end of the shop out of my sight, though he did not know I had seen it; after that I asked him if he had any screws; he said he had a sew small ones, which he shewed me; I said they are good screws, and if my man does not let me have some soon, I will get some of you; I left him; knowing they were mine, and went to the Police-Office, and got a search warrant; when I returned I opened the door, and said, Mr. Jones, I am come to see you twice in one day, but now I have a warrant; I looked over his bench, and he had returned the saw-set to the place; I told himhe must bring out the screws; he hesitated, but went and brought about a couple of gross of screws of a different make; I said they were not the same I had seen: he said he had no more; we opened a drawer, and I saw a paper with some screws in, which I knew to be mine: they are the same;(the officer produces the screws); I am enabled to say that they are different screws from what any body else used by the makes of them.

Cross-examined by Mr. Gurney. Q. You have sold saw-sets of different sorts? - A. Yes.

Q. Are you the only person who serves in your shop? - A. Me and my son; but that was stolen out of the window by my vise-bench.

Q. Are those screws of your own make? - A. No, they are made by one Watson, of Birmingham.

3. David

David Most Valued Member

I just love it when a door accidentally opens and all this new information tumbles out. But, sadly, I assume Armell Jones was a sawmaker, too, as well as a thief.

4. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hardly accidentally, it looks like you did a lot of searching to find it.

Our sympathies should go to Simon. He may well have to re-write his book.:)

Fred

5. David

David Most Valued Member

Actually, Fred, I just followed the Google trail, trying lots of different search words. Hardly research; more like obsession, with an element of fun.