Hague & Co London

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by PeterEvans, Jan 16, 2013.

1. PeterEvans

PeterEvans Most Valued Member

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Peter,

A quote by Simon from a comment on one of Joe's saws.

And Drabble & S were always Sheffield makers, never London, although they did put D&S London on some saws, which I think (supposition here) was only a con, as London Spring saws were usually labelled as such, and London was added in many cases to pretend a London address (even on 4th or 5th quality items like Joseph Tyzack's Bowdon and Fitzwilliam lines).

Says it all really.

Fred

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Hague and Co London

I'm not sure if what follows is disagreeing with myself, but anyway, here goes.

This saw is reminiscent of a London saw of the last quarter of the 19th century - London pattern handle, three screws, struck mark of two lines only (maker or "maker" 's name, then the single word London).
    In the online directories for 1882 and 1884 there is a cutler called John Hague, of 57 Banner street, St Luke's [a working class area, long a centre for small businesses). It was not uncommon for small firms to dignify themselves with a spurious "Ltd" or "& Co", so (guessing) I'd put my money on this man, but I await the disproof!
    I would stand by what Fred says I said, but I am about to (really) disagree with myself on the Groves/London thread.

4. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

At least you are back on talking terms with yourself.

Personally, myself and I have refused to speak to each other for years.

Paul.

5. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Paul,

Don't worry about talking to yourself. It only becomes a problem when you don't realise that you are doing it. Disagreements included.

Simon's Hague is a possibility, but it would have been better were he to be a merchant as opposed to (I assume), a manufacturer. Having said that I have noticed that a lot of the named "London" saws on Ebay that are probably merchants have a street name, number or area as part of the stamp.

But nothing is ever written in stone and so he may have something.

It is a pity that Simon's maker and Peter's are about right for the saw date and there is no real indication which, if either is right.

Fred

NB.To those of you who read the unedited version of this, and Simon, my apologies, I got the authorship of Simon's post confused with Paul.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013