Hague-Clegg and Barton

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Sep 14, 2013.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

Clegg and Barton saws (HSMOB 1876 to 1890) whilst not ten a penny are not rare on Ebay, but I have never seen a Hague, Clegg and Barton let alone a Hague_Clegg and Barton saw before.

It is not an overly exciting offering in any other way, being a good example of its genre. HSMOB have them as 1868 to 1872.

But for a small mind being amused by small things, in this case the (almost) hyphen, I am happy to have got it. The only other hyphenated name that I know is Brown-Westhead and Moore, but they are potters.

Does anyone know why they used the _ in between the first two names?

Fred

Attached Files:

2. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

I have no opinion, just a couple of photos from here.

DSCF0806.JPG

DSCF0804.JPG

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Thanks for the images of the Hague Clegg Toby,

And for the link to the very tasty saws. There are some wonderful ones there.

I did realise that when I asked the question about the (nearly a) hyphen that it was probably unanswerable, but one can live in hope.

Fred

4. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Hague-Clegg & Barton

An early attempt at an email address??

More seriously:

HAGUE & CLEGG SHEFFIELD
    Sylvester Lane 1862
    HAGUE, CLEGG & BARTON
    Sylvester Lane 1868-1871
    CLEGG & BARTON
    Sylvester Lane 1876-1870
    Aemilian Works, Sylvester Lane 1876-1889
    HAGUE, John & Co
    Thames Steel Works, Arundel Lane 1879
    These firms are grouped together because in spite of the changes of name, there is continuity of addresses (Sylvester Lane was off Arundel Lane), and furthermore the directories indicate that Mrs Jane Barton continued the business for several years after being widowed. 1862: John Hague and Charles Clegg, saw etc manufacturers. 1879: Charles Clegg and John James Barton, saw, file and machine knife manufacturers. It is assumed that after Barton’s death, Hague worked separately for a short time. It is not known whether there is any connection with Barton brothers.
    I have a couple of backsaws with the lowered hyphen mark, one with the added puff "Warranted Good". A big butcher's back saw made for a Liverpool retailer whose only entry was 1900 is by Hague and Clegg alone, and I haven't the slightest idea of how to explain the apparent anomaly in dates.

5. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

The London Gazette of March 3 1876 has the following notice.

"NOTICE is hereby given, that the Copartnership heretofore subsisting between the undersigned, John Hague,
    Charles Clegg, and John James Barton, carrying on business as Saw and File Manufacturers, at the AEmilian Works,
    Sylvester-lane, Sheffield, in the county of York, under the
    style or firm of Hague, Clegg, and Barton, has been dissolved, so far as regards the said John Hague, as on and
    from the 31st day of December, 1875. All debts owing to
    or by the copartnership will be received or paid by the said
    Charles Clegg and John James Barton.—Dated this 25th
    day of February, 1876.
    John Hague.
    Charles Glegg.
    John James Barton.

So that dates the exit of Hague from the partnership as 1876, and the start of the subsequent partnership of Barton and Clegg. Which ties in nicely with Simon's dates, but doesn't explain the 1900 Hague and Clegg, unless it is just a re-use of the name just as a brand.

On the subject of lowered hyphens, I see that as an underscore character, which appeared with mechanical typewriters... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underscore

I doubt however it had the same meaning in the 1870's... :)

Regards
    Ray

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  6. Theodore Barton

Theodore Barton New Member

Old thread but wanted to share mine after reading this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ted