George Butler

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by BuckGroves, Oct 11, 2012.

1. BuckGroves

BuckGroves Member

I don't see a listing in the timeline for George Butler in Sheffield. Here is one of my prized possessions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The previous owner said it was from the 1840s. When I got it it had almost no teeth, so I retoothed it at the apparent 13 tpi.

Buck Groves

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

HSMOB has George Butler and Co. as 1879 only, at 105 Eyre Street. There is probably no timeline as such because he was not recorded in Whites 1862 nor in whoever published the 1901 directory and which are the only two directories that I have found online that are either side of the 1879 one where he was recorded as a saw maker.

Others may exist but I do not have access to them.

He therefore possibly started in business after 1862 and went out of business prior to 1891. A bit of a wide time-scale, but the best that I can do. Others may be able to help you further.

It is a lovely clear stamp on an equally impressive saw, but possibly not 1840.

Fred

I have just looked in Trademarks and seen that George Butler is listed as from 1848 to 1926 and so how this gels with the above I don't know. Perhaps it doesn't or perhaps Butler was not a maker of saws during this whole period. Trademarks states that he made cutlery and goods in other metal excluding jewellery - but no more information.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

They were big-time cutlers. This looks to me at the earlier end of their dates here, but I wouldn't put it as early as 1840.

Here's a bit more about the firm:

BUTLER, George & Co SHEFFIELD
    Trinity Works, 105 (106) Eyre Street 1876-1887
    1862: manufacturers of pen, pocket, table knives, razors, scissors, edge tools etc. 1879: merchants, and manufactures of table knives, pocket, pen and sporting knives, razors, scissors, silver and electro-plate, steel saws, files etc.
    Their years in the saw makers’ lists were few, compared to their longevity as cutlers, having been in existence during the 17th century: they were one of the most outstanding in Sheffield during the 19th century, winning prize medals, supplying the royal family, and naturally taking over several other Sheffield firms. “In the 20th century, Butler’s history mirrored the decline of the cutlery industryâ€￾ (Tweedale); they failed to adapt to the mass-market era, and their name was taken over several times. Their saws were almost certainly factored.
    Trade and second quality marks: ART in circle; The Cavendish; key; Steer & Webster; they also took over the names owned by Francis Newton.

I've not previously seen the TM on this sweet backsaw and would be grateful if I could add it to the above entry (to be acknowledged, Buckgroves, with your permission).

4. BuckGroves

BuckGroves Member

Barleys,

The previous owner mentioned the date, and I don't have any evidence to back it up. I've joined this site to gain more knowledge about the saws I have. Of course you can add my saw to the Butler entry.

BuckGroves