Geo Butler & Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Rustyoldion, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Rustyoldion

Rustyoldion Active Member

This 12" iron backed dovetail saw by George Butler & Co has a feature that I have never seen before. The top of the back is not rounded over as normal but is neatly shaped into flat facets. If the back was removed it would be an elongated octagon shape. The stamp is slightly different to those shown in BSSM. 2016-10-19 15.19.54.jpg 2016-10-19 15.20.07.jpg 2016-10-19 15.20.53.jpg

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

I haven't seen many saws with the top of the back angled, but I posted a similar one a short while ago from here:-

http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/spear-cast-london-spring-double-refined.938/

[​IMG]

and David posted an image of a Kenyon that he has on the same thread.

[​IMG]

but it doesn't look as though it has a flattened top but one that comes to a ridge.

I don't know how common this style is in absolute terms, but I cannot remember seeing many at all.

Fred

3. Rustyoldion

Rustyoldion Active Member

Thanks Fred,

The Spear saw does seem to be similar to my Butler except that the Butler bevels are equal in size and the lower back has similar flat bevels to the top.

Merry Christmas.

Rustyoldion