G.BUCK Frame Saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Underthedirt, May 10, 2017.

1. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Hi everyone,

I thought that I'd share this beautiful frame / turning saw that arrived the other day.
    It has a flattened / squashed diamond profile solid steel (or iron?) frame, it's stamped G.BUCK in tiny font 1.8mm high X 9mm overall long, it looks fairly original, it looks to be the original blacking on the frame- a couple of bent nails holding the blade only.
    The handle is more like a dovetail or compass saw & all of the fittings appear to be of reasonable quality.
    The blade is 11" / 280mm long & from blade to frame is 6.75" / 172mm & 9ppi.
    I'm wondering if it's original purpose was either a girder saw, or perhaps a meat saw? Anyway it's a keeper, I've been looking for ages for the right turning saw to cut curves in timber & this one feels good in the hand & there's no problem in keeping the blade taught.

Regards

Mari

Attached Files:

2. greyhound

greyhound Most Valued Member

It is a beauty, Mary, lucky you. Everything — proportions, the handle and the frame come together very nicely. I wish modern saws were made similarly.
    Cheers,
    S

Underthedirt likes this.
  3. Underthedirt

Thanks Greyhound, I couldn't agree more...:)

Regards

Mari

4. steveatkinson

steveatkinson Most Valued Member

Very pretty Saw Mari, that would look good in any collection, I bet it functions well too,
    very nice proportions, I look forward to seeing more of your finds.
    happy hunting Steve

Underthedirt likes this.
  5. Underthedirt

Thanks Steve, you know what they say- "you can't have too many saws, just not enough room!"

Regards

Mari

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Only just come upon this, Mari: lovely piece of work. I'd guess the frame is wrought iron, judging by the flaw near the name stamp, and at first glance I thought probably a girder saw, although it's got less depth than the usual – but then it's not exactly a usual one.

Simon

Underthedirt likes this.
  7. Underthedirt

Thanks for your reply Simon, I was wondering if it was iron or steel...:)

Regards

Mari

8. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Now that wrought iron is virtually an unknown commodity, and because steel is so ubiquitous and cheap, it's easy to forget that the opposite was true until steel became really cheap – as if I could be sure that I knew when that was!

Simon

Underthedirt likes this.