Fullwood & Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by ray, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

I received an email asking about a steel backed saw by Fullwood & Co Sheffield.

It belonged to a Swedish Furniture maker, born in the late 1800's, so if purchased new, it would likely be early 1900's

Somewhere, in the past, I think I've heard the name... but memory has failed me.. anyone got any ideas?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ray

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Ray,

I am going to be a little pessimistic on this and say that I think that it may be a brand. So unless someone knows, the answer may not be found in any of the online directories.

I have looked in Kelly's 1911,Whites 1901 and 1905 and there is nothing relating to saws.

What I do find interesting about it is that it is a post lamb's tongue saw but with split nuts. That must put it round about the right time of manufacture.

Fred

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Kiwi, many thanks for that,
    Here is the extract referred to..
    [​IMG]

Hi Fred,
    I suspect you are correct, I'm not having any luck with searches so far..

Ray

5. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Nice accumulation of information.

The handle is a good example of the cheapest handle of c1890-1910 - London pattern, machine made, no ornamentation, and the screws finished off flat (and fast!).

Ray - I don't have a picture of a Fullwood mark, so any chance of asking the owner to send it to me?

(and Fulwood - spelt thus - was, and is, one of the most expensive areas of Sheffield, no doubt where Mr Bedford had his lovely stone-built mansion.)