F Brittain?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Deesinister, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Deesinister

Deesinister Most Valued Member

Hi Ray and Everyone.
    well another purchase off Ebay.
    I think its a Brittain by the fancy medallion but there are no other markings. Does anyone know if he did etches and if its worth cleaning the blade. Its going to be a user but I like the patina at the moment so I wont clean if unless theres a reason too. Can you date Brittains by the medallion? Cheers. Al

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Al,

Certainly looks like a Brittain, that medallion alone is enough to positively identify it as Brittain, they are the only makers ( that we know of ) that used this style of medallion.

Here are some more examples of these beautiful medallions, the design on the first one is the same as your saw, and I think that this is the very first time we have ever seen two the same!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Taken from Simon's post here ... http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showpost.php&p=1129&postcount=6

Regards
    Ray

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  3. Deesinister

Deesinister Most Valued Member

yup thats the one

Hi Ray,
    Yes that first one is the same. (Sorry my photo a bit blurry) Ive got an F Brittain back saw but sadly the medallion is missing, so I cant add another.

Looks like it should be a good user.

Cheers
    Al