Exceptions to rules

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Barleys, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

To correct an oh so confident statement in the saw book on p56, illustration on p57, that point size was marked on hand saws only, I've discovered this illustrated B Dawson (Groves lesser quality) grafter of c1900. The only one so far, but will examine the other grafters with interest in future.

Attached Files:

2. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Simon ... first a long-belated thank you for bending over at least sideways to help my family get me a copy of your book at xmas, without my knowing.

Secondly, do you know of any pattern to the use of "PTS" along with the number for point size?

Thanks,
    Paul McGee

3. Barleys

Thanks for the kind remarks, Paul.

Not sure what you mean by "pattern". Some makers put the number plus PTS, others just the number, but I'm afraid I've not given the matter any great thought, to see if makers had their own preference and kept to it. Will go down to the shed and look at my own users and write again.

4. Barleys

Found some with just numbers (various sizes), some going at right angles to the tooth line, others parallel; some with PT, some PTs. Not much consistency amongst the couple of dozen users I've got here at home.

Paul – if I'm not answering your question, please try me again. Simon

5. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Thanks Simon.
    It is pretty uncommon among the 'quite a few' handsaws I have picked up.
    I *think* I've only seen PTS on english/uk saws ... so was just idly wondering if anyone had detected any association to a time-period or location or maker. :)

6. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Paul,

I only have a very modern saw marked with points (P) and presumably teeth (T) and so you get two for the price of one. As for old saws, most are packed away, but of the few (7) that I have available, only one, the one with the Kaye- Hull medallion has a number and I attach this, and the Nato handsaw saw below. The makers of the Nato saw are Sanderson Kayser.

You can probably see the number on the Kaye saw better on the thumbnail than you can the full sized photo.

Not enough for a trend I am afraid.

Fred

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2015