Dovetail saws

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by johnnyrsa, Jun 18, 2013.

1. johnnyrsa

johnnyrsa Active Member

I need some advice regarding vintage dovetail saws and small tenon saws. I'm looking to get one off ebay but there are just so many to choose from. I know the old spear & jackson's and Tyzack's are good but which ones? Are there any other makes that I should look out for and which one should I stay clear of? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Look at lots of them online first ... ebay ... here ... many sources.

Do you want a brass-back? or iron?
    How many do you want to own?
    Is it to use, or appreciate?
    How old do you want?
    How much cleanup do you want to perform?
    :)

Google (eg) 'brass backsaw' and go to 'images'

If it is a user, tpi and sharpness and how many you might own - and what work you might do come into it.

When I first started buying tools, backsaws were some of the first things I bought. But when I'd learnt *some* things - looking at them - I saw they tended to be more modern and mostly not brass. Since then I have bought more in the 1880-1920 sort of period ... beautiful stuff ... but not the much earlier examples that some of the guys here very much appreciate.

Cheers,
    Paul

3. johnnyrsa

johnnyrsa Active Member

I was thinking of getting 2 - 3 as users, maybe a couple just to appreciate.
    For the users I'm not too bothered if it's brass or steel backed, as long as it works well and has a nice thin blade. Age also doesn't matter and I don't mind cleaning at all.

They will mainly be used to cut dovetails and tenons.

I have a Disston and a Spear & Jackson at home which I'm using to practice my sharpening skills on, I already filed the one for rip and the other for cross-cut. They really aren't that old and have quite thick blades with ugly handles.. For my first 2 attempts I have to say they cut really well.

For the ones I won't be using I'd probably prefer brass backs.

How would you rate this one as a user:

[​IMG]

Not sure about it's age but it's a 10" Spear & Jackson