Domed Nut Saw ID

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by enjuneer, Sep 14, 2015.

1. enjuneer

enjuneer Member

Gentlemen,

Pictures of an early saw was posted to a Facebook vintage tool group yesterday and it spawned a flurry of discussion. The owner hasn't found a stamp or marking on it yet, so lots of guys (including myself) tossed out some possibilities.

Perhaps the learned gentlemen on this list will be able to identify it right away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pmcgee likes this.
  2. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Without a name you're just guessing on the manufacturer, date, or even the country of origin (which is fun, but totally unreliable)

Some comments;
    I have those same cone shaped iron screws on saws from Taylor Brothers (an etched Sheffield saw from c 1880), and from Willmot (New York, c1850)
    The handle shape with the sharply dropped top is more common on my English saws, (but could be American).
    The blade looks in good enough shape that any stamped name would be at least partially discernible. So maybe it was originally etched i.e. not a really early saw
    The handle could be a replacement. If it was the original handle I would have expected the top of the blade to be visible across more of the top of the handle in the top picture, instead of disappearing from view just after entering the handle.

3. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Do you know of any other handles with that severe of a drop?

4. David

David Most Valued Member

I've seen examples by American makers such as Disston, Worrall, Bakewell, Holden, Turner and Toland.

5. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

I seen quite a few *like* it, but never a right-angle before ... excepting perhaps one S&J I can't quite recall now.

6. enjuneer

enjuneer Member

I thought it might be a Spear & Jackson also. Mike Stemple has a picture on his web site that is very similar. It also has the sharp right-angle at the top and the stumpy nub in front of the upper horn.

[​IMG]