Davis & Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, Apr 19, 2021.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

I found this 19" tenon saw a while ago. I've had no luck locating or dating the maker. Any help would be thankfully received. Even with the dolphin tail this looks to be 1810-1830 and English to me. Dixon & Co full.jpeg Dixon & Co handle front.jpeg Dixon & Co handle rear.jpeg Dixon & Co die stamp.jpeg

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi David,

Grace's Guide 1914 Who's Who has a reference that might provide a clue, https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1914_Who's_Who_in_Business:_Company_M

MUSGRAVE (JOSEPH) & CO., Timber and Slate Merchants, Saw Mill Proprietors, Saw Mills, St. John Street, Chester. Hours of Business: 8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established over 300 years ago. Are successors to Thomas Dixon & Co. Present Principals: Joseph Musgrave and Arthur J. Musgrave. One of the oldest firms in the trade. Branch: River Basin, Chester. Business: English and Foreign Timber Merchants; Dealers in Penrhyn and all kinds of Slates; Sawing, Planing, Moulding. Connection: Chester, County and. Neighbourhood, North Wales. Telephone: No. 360 Chester. Telegraphic Address: " Musgrave, Chester." Bankers: Bank of Liverpool, Ltd., Chester.

Might be worth looking into directories from the Chester area?

pedder and shoarthing like this.