Damms, Cocker and Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Joe S, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Ray et al
    I was surprised when this saw arrived via post. I hadn't checked the auction and the owners usually inform winners of the items so I thought as per my "tool pusher's" observation on my typical "frugal ways" I was outbid. It seems I was the only bidder. The saw was misidentified but that hadn't stopped me or as I figured, others might see that it was a fairly early saw. The "saw gods" haven't necessarily been all that kind lately and the competition for the early saws has been noticeably fierce.
    HSMB suggested they were short lived company in 1833-34 at Burnt Tree Lane. It says in the 1833 directory they were also involved with the manufacture of "saw, scythe, calico printers' plate, steel busk, and hay and straw knife mfrs". I found nothing in previous or later directories and it would seem this group was not part of Cocker, Grayson and Co who was listed at the same time. I would think this was the Ezra Cocker listed at that time but someone here might know differently.
    The saw is a 14" steel back, beech handle held in place by two split screws. The stamp has three distinct stampings. Damms, Cocker and Co., German*Steel, Sheffield. If anyone else has examples or more info I would love to see or hear about it.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Joe,

It looks like it was a partnership between John Damms, John Damms Jnr, and Ezra Cocker.

The London Gazette, records the departure of John Damms Jnr from the partnership, but looks like the others continued..

[​IMG]

Scan quality is not as good as the Gazette normally is..

There were a succession of saw making firms in various locations in Burnt Tree Lane, Might be worth researching further..

Regards
    Ray

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Nice early saw Joe. Interesting to see "German * Steel"

Did a quick search and didn't find anything new on "Damms Cocker & Co", but there's a bit more data available on the individual suspects;
    Whites 1849 directory has Ezra Cocker listed as a "sawsmith and shopkeeper" (John Damms is not listed)
    John Damms, "sawmaker", is listed in the 1864 flood claims, and Burngreave cemetary has an 1877 grave for John Damms, 72, "sawsmith".

4. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Thanks guys and Seasons greetings.

Burnt tree lane seems to be a popular location for saw makers over a long history with many names coming up.
    I wonder if the the John who Kiwi found was Sr or Jr. In 1833, he would have been 28 so to have a "younger" the son would be very young or was this a relative with the same name. He was still listed as a sawmaker and yet there is no listings as ownerships over all those years so I wonder if he worked fo someone.
    great stuff.
    Joe S.