Cutting saw teeth with a fly press

Discussion in 'Saw Makers Forum' started by lui, Mar 4, 2011.

1. lui

lui Most Valued Member

Hi All,

I have very recently acquired a fly press with tooling for cutting saw teeth. The fly press originally belonged to a saw doctor.

I haven't cleaned it or bolted it down yet, but I thought I'd give you a demo and show you what it can do.

The guides are adjustable so you can cut any size tooth at any angle.

It's a Norton No 1 fly press.
    [​IMG]

Here is the tooling and guides.
    [​IMG]

I'm cutting some copper here just to show how it works, as I haven't bolted the press down yet. You slide the toe of the saw up against the stop guide.
    [​IMG]

This shows the tooling about to cut the blank.
    [​IMG]

After cutting.
    [​IMG]

Slide the blank forward so the cut tooth meets the stop guide.
    [​IMG]

And here is another tooth.
    [​IMG]

Repeat the process.
    [​IMG]

The end result, you will note the flat spots to the points of the teeth, this allows you to file the teeth and maintain the straight edge. These are 5 ppi.
    [​IMG]

At the moment I'm looking to use it to retooth some of my more way-ward saws. But I'd like to have a go at making some rip and cross cut saws.

Where is the best place to get quality saw steel?

Hope the above was interesting.

regards

lui

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. mattsworld

mattsworld Member

Lui....wow...that's amazing!

I have wanted a fly press toother since I read about Andrew Lunn's....I am jealous man!!!

Please keep us updated on how it goes in use.

-Matt

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Lui,

Nice acquisition! I can see how that would beat filing hands down, having seen that, I'm going to keep an eye open for a fly press.

I actually bought one last year on ebay for a customer whose company purchasing policy didn't permit ebay purchases. It was a larger one but it was missing the arm. I'll see if I can get a picture in the next week or so.

Regards
    Ray

4. lui

lui Most Valued Member

The presses can be quite cheap, but the tooling isn't. I was lucky, mine came all together.

good luck with your hunting

lui