Crookes Roberts and Co.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Oct 8, 2012.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

There is not a lot to say about this saw except that I have never seen a Crookes, Roberts before and probably, unless one of you has one tucked away somewhere, never will again.

HSMOB has them from 1833 to 1900 and by the looks of this one (battered and bruised though it is) it has all the hallmarks of being at the latter end of this time period. And identical, apart from the stamp, to the hundreds of thousands of others made from the 1870's onwards.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Crookes, Roberts

Book entry herewith, Fred:
    CROOKES, ROBERTS & Co SHEFFIELD
    64 (sometimes listed as 44) Porter Street 1833-1852
    Argus Works, Shoreham Street 1854-1907
    1841: Austin and Alfred Crookes, and Thomas Roberts, saw makers, and busk, calico web and engravers’ steel plate, and file manufacturers; 1879: Charles Crookes and Henry Roberts, steel converters and refiners, manufacturers of saws, files, engineers’ heavy machine tools, machine knives, doctors, busks etc. An example of their heavy machine tools is a huge lathe in the Kelham Island Museum, Sheffield.

I think their saws could well have always been factored for them. I've seen several (hand and back), but not previously that pretty medallion - adapted from the arms of the city of Sheffield.
    I think the italic lettering of the word Sheffeld could put it in the 1860s.