Corsan, Denton, Burdenkin & Co.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Dammittim, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Dammittim

Dammittim New Member

I have been lurking for a while, admiring all the wonderful saws. I found this saw near Kansas City, Missouri. How it got here is a mystery. It is a Corsan, Denton, Burdekin. I had seen one on this site before, and there was a call for more examples. I have not done much on cleaning it, since the screws are terribly difficult to remove. I hope this will clarify that this type of screw attachment was used as a standard for these saws.

Attached Files:

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Welcome aboard Dammittim.
    Thanks for sending in the pics.
    I posted the earlier question about the company back in 03/03/09 and Ray was great in finding a great deal of info. The saw looks so similar except mine had a London Pattern handle. Your stamp shows so much more info about Sheffield as its place of origin. Both saws have that distinctive slice on the bevel. (Handle maker mark or company mark?). As you pointed out there is also the unusual saw nuts that mark this company's saws from others. Thanks again for posting.
    Joe S

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Corsan, Denton, Burdekin & Co

Is this a THREE Lawyers saw ?? (maybe Klaus can help ? )

I like the old multi-name saws, the fact that the makers/marketers were proud enough to stamp on all their names in full, and the way the rhythm of their names rolls into your brain (and then gets you wondering about their history and how they all came together, and how the partnerships eventually dissolved).
    I have a "Jackson Stacey & Smith" (names sound a bit common), and a "Rodgers Russell Horsfield" (better sounding), but none as good as "Corsan Denton Burdekin & Co" (but I'm still looking ! )