Colquhoun and Cadman

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Oct 22, 2013.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

Until I researched this saw I thought that Cadman(s) was an early maker and so I started looking pre 1850. After finding nothing, I looked at the Ebay photograph again, saw the orange/yellow varnish and then started looking at the late 19th/early 20th centuries.

He (or this partnership) wasn't hard to find, being in the 1901 directory on p.xix of the corporate trade marks section.

Another unremarkable saw but this time with a rather damaged mark, which is a pity. But at least you can still see the trade mark

Fred

Attached Files:

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

A fairly typical brass-plate Sheffield outfit of the late 19th century, database entry as follows:

COLQUHOUN & CADMAN SHEFFIELD
    Douglas Works, 77 Arundel Street 1884-1887
    The above years as listed saw makers were short in this partnership’s overall life; Edward Dewing Colquhoun was a second generation Sheffield man who learned the ways of tool merchanting as an apprentice and later as a partner with Marsden Brothers; Edwin Cadman was not a member of the Cadman family, but a farmer’s son born in the Isle of Man (thanks to Geoff Tweedale for this information). The Douglas Works was established in grand style in 1881, in premises nevertheless shared with a cut glass manufacturer and a maker of stringed musical instruments. The business later moved to 113 Arundel Street, and claimed to make a wide range of tools, skates, garden tools, saws and more; they acquired other businesses in razors and pen and pocket knife making, but it is quite likely that they remained from beginning to their end (1922, some years after they had been taken over by Thomas Ellin) as no more than merchants and factors selling goods made and marked for them. The partners had died (Colquhoun in 1907) or retired (Cadman probably by 1918), products with their name being marketed by Ellins.

But they sold nice stuff - there is a very handsome showcase of their skates in the Hawley Tool Collection in Sheffield.