Charles Parkin and Son

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Mar 18, 2011.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

This saw is possibly not the best one to buy for someone who is interested in the aesthetic quality of handles, for the rather obvious reason that it doesn't have much of a one left.

I got this , however because I could not see a Charles Parkin registered as a sawmaker in HSMOB. There are Parkins aplenty but not a Charles, let alone his Son. And, of course because it has a very distinctive trade mark.

Below is the history of Charles Parkin that I have been able to find out from the online directories. He is listed mainly as an edge tool maker and maker of joiners tools, augers, and braces and bits (but never saws).

Whites (F) (Sheffield) 1862 has him in a a works in West Street Lane.

Whites (W) (Sheffield) 1879 has him at 32 Rockingham Street

Kelly's (West Riding 1881) has C. Parkin and Son at Rockingham Street
    I don't know why I have nothing for him in the directories for the 1990's but probably because no directories come up for Parkin in the 1990's in Sheffield.

In Trademarks on Base Metal the mark says Chas. and Henry (1892) (Cutler), and so I am assuming that Henry is the son.

Whites 1901 C. Parkin and Son are at 30 and 32 Charlotte Street.

And the same in 1910.

As an added interest, (I think Whites 1901) there is a a Frederick Parkin (saw maker) at 14 Brandreth Rd. that is not in HSMOB.

I am not the most meticulous of researcher so any alterations/additions will be gratefully received.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

The Parkins of Sheffield were so numerous and featured in so many partnerships over such a long time that they are exceptionally difficult to distinguish. I think Fred's is this one; I wonder how many (if any) of his saws he made himself.But I've seen a fair number of saws with his mark, none very marvellous quality.

PARKIN, Charles (1879: & Son) SHEFFIELD
    West Street lane 1862>
    Clarendon Works, Rockingham Lane 1879-1881>
    30 & 32 Charlotte Street <1901-1911>
    Cutlery, brace & bit, joiners’ tools, edge tools and skates manufacturer. See also J.H. Peace (who used the mark on the left below).

[C.Parkin over CP and Sheffield] [Identical mark to Fred's]
    B c1880 15mm B c1890 50mm

3. Dan

Dan New Member

I know this is an old post, but it still helped me in identifying a wooden spoke shave that I have. Other forms of this maker's mark include:
    [CHAS HENRY]
    [C 'Maltese Cross' P]
    [Shefield]
    I would post a picture but mine is too faded for reference purposes.