Carcass saw by Peters/Squire

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by richarnold, Feb 7, 2013.

1. richarnold

richarnold Member

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

You have a wonderful saw about which my comments would be entirely inadequate.

The only things that I will say before I e-mail Simon to have a look, is that there is a Peters in London 1770 to 1779 and who is a successor to William Squires 1754 to 1760.

If it is by either of these then I suspect that it is a saw of great rarity and importance.

Fred

3. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Carcass saw

I consider myself very fortunate to have actually held this beautiful tool in my hands! (Richard is a kind friend who I meet at David Stanley's tool auctions - a great place to see tools, friends, and (not so great, maybe) drain one's pockets)

One of the interesting things about this is that it is marked in exactly the same way on both sides of the brass back as one owned by a friend in the US. We know that these 18th cent saws were turned out in their hundreds, if not thousands, and it should I suppose not surprise us if occasionally we find two from the same shop. Joseph Wilson, the Sheffield maker (1768-1775) left business documents which I have been able to study in detail and which show he sold at least 2500 saws in that fairly short period, before going bankrupt; I have seen (and happily own) just one saw which is marked with his name, and that was double marked like the Squire/Peters, with "I. Wilson" being almost completely erased, and William Weldon marked in addition - we don't know who bought Wilson's bankrupt stock, but it could have been Weldon, or he may have been a second, later, buyer (his saw making dates are, in the directories, a lot later).
    Just to show that good luck can happen, I bought this saw as a "Weldon" and only when I got it, found the Wilson mark, which the vendor hadn't noticed...

Attached Files: