C & S Peace

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Sep 22, 2018.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Found this at a local estate auction this week, 16", 11 ppi. The blade appears tapered, but its quite possible that the back has just been knocked down at the toe (the usual culprit). There's a bit of pitting, but not enough to affect performance, the blade is straight, and the handle is in great shape for a saw of this age (BSSM 1833-1841). I like the tight curl of the lamb's tongue on this style of handle.
    The name stamp, "C & S Peace German Steel", is interesting in that there is no "& Co" after "Peace" as found in other examples by this maker
    P1040063.JPG P1040062.JPG P1040061.JPG

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Kiwi,

I have never resolved the usage of "& Co." in my own mind. Sometimes I think that it is put there purely to give the name that extra bit of stature when it is a two-bit operation, and sometimes it is possibly an example of Yorkshire frugality where there is, indeed another partner, but they don't want to go to the expense of putting his name on the stamp.

Neither do I know whether "Co."can have any formal legal implications in relationship to a legal partnership.

But ignorance can make life interesting and I do have a very interesting life:).

Fred

PS Love the saw and the stamp.