C. Johnson & Co Sheffield

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Pastahill, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Pastahill

Pastahill Member

Hello to all!

I can buy a C.Johnson saw but i don´t know anything about the manufactor, the age of the saw i would gues about in the 1850 may be younger ??? The saw is 28 inches long, is filed progressive from 2,5 tpi to 4 tpi. has split nuts and a nib.
    The seller wants 60 € what´s about 50 to 55 $ . Do you think this is to much?? Is it a interesting saw ? cj1.JPG cj3.JPG cj2.JPG

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

The saw looks in good condition.

All I can tell you about the company comes from BSSM. Simon has the dates as saw manufacturers from 1876 to 1879, but says that they were probably selling saws made for them from 1845. They started making cutlery in 1836 and generally made quality products.

As for age, I cannot help much. BSSM has an image of a medallion the same as yours with a date of about 1880 given to it and I would not like to argue with that. It would be interesting if you could find a mark on the blade, as that might help with dating.

As to value, it is very difficult as it is very subjective. I find the sort of amount that you are talking about, to be at the very top end of what I would want to pay, but I am very mean when it comes to some saws. It is really how you would value it yourself. If you like it, then it is worth it.

As an aside, Simon thinks that the saw that I posted here

http://backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/lions-rampant-saw-unknown.764/#post-4352

may be German, Do you have any ideas about it or its nationality.

Fred