BROWNE CAST STEEL REFD

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Charlie Earnest, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Charlie Earnest

Charlie Earnest Member

This is a saw I recently acquired made by an unknown Browne (unknown to me at least).

The stamp reads BROWNE C__T _____ REFD
    I think it originally read CAST STEEL REFD but the word steel is completely missing and all that can be seen or inferred from the word CAST is the C and the T. The saw is roughly 16-1/2” long but the toe of the spine is open and smashed pretty good. Whether this indicates the saw was once longer and subsequently cut down or simply an oddball length, I don’t know. There are no chamfers or bevels on the brass at all. It’s simply a piece of folded brass with no ornamentation. The spine tapers from 1” at the heel to 7/8” at the toe. A goodly amount from the little knowledge I have of these things. I should’ve posted this sooner but it slipped through the cracks.

It seems to me that it should fall somewhere in the early 19th or perhaps 18th century of saw making but I cannot know for sure. The pattern of the flat screws is an uncommon one and is usually seen on earlier saws but I know these things were not set in stone and anomalies crop up fairly often. If anyone has any insight or suggestions I would be happy to hear them. Thank you,
    Charlie

Attached Files:

shoarthing likes this.