brothers

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by sweaders, Mar 3, 2013.

1. sweaders

sweaders Member

hello anybody i have been looking through check list of saw makers. the saw that i am looking at has stamped on it [ moulson brothers london ] but the check list seems only to have the shortened [bros] can anyone shed any light as to why this is maybe it just saves time and is of no significance cheers pat

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Pat,

There are a lot of Moulson's in HSMOB but they have the "Brothers" (Edmund, John, Joseph, Thomas and William) as being in business from 1828 to 1884 and, more to the point all in Sheffield and not London.

This gives them enough time to vary the format of their stamps and so I am not so sure that "Bros" or "Brothers" has much significance.

What I think is a little more interesting is the attribution of London to the saw. I did think at one stage that on some early-ish saws that London was an abbreviation for "London Spring" and thus a sign of (or at least the inference of) quality. but I am not so sure now that this is right, or if it is right, only sporadically so.

But London was put on Sheffield saws in the late middle to latter part of the 19thC for much the same reason - in order to give the saw a bit of extra kudos in a rather harsh marketing environment.

Which of the above categories (if either) your saw fits into, I don't know. It depends on its age, and as always an image would be useful here.

Fred