Brittain Hoole and Co.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Sep 14, 2016.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I have just taken delivery of this saw.

I bought it for the medallion, but on cleaning some of the rust off of the blade, there is a nice little mark as well that may have been accompanied by three crowns at one stage.

BSSM does have a Brittain Hoole and Co backsaw mark, but my mark is much more akin to an SS Brittain handsaw mark tentatively dated at around 1870. It also has a similarly laid out medallion to the 1880 one shown in the book. And which, if these dates can be applied to my saw is interesting as Brittain Hoole and Co. is listed only from 1833 to 1837.

Perhaps it is a case of the later Brittains (SS and F) using marks still owned by the company long after the original company to which the mark was ascribed, had moved on.

Fred

Edit.
    The shape of the handle puts the saw much nearer to an 1870 date than an 1840 one to me, but if it is a later saw, then the London Flat handle would tend to make it a second (or worse) quality one.

I didn't think that Brittains made cheapies. Can anyone help on this?

It also looks like there is another location for *this* firm (whichever one it is) as well, as this medallion refers to the Victoria Works while B H and Co. was at Arundel Street; S S was at the St. George's Works Shoreham Street, whereas F was at at 102 Wellington Street and also at the St.George's works.

Although to be fair, BSSM does have "Victoria Works" on their circa 1840 backsaw stamp, but makes no further reference to it, or its location. Presumably it is at 5 Arundel Street??

And a final thought. If the Victoria Works is around the 1840 mark, does that make my saw 1840 after all.:confused:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

I have just found that I have another Brittain Hoole and Co. lurking in my collection and which I did not realise that I have. Apologies if I have put it on here already, but I cannot find it by doing a Google search.

Here are the pics. Victoria.Works and all.

And with a nice large saw screw?/ blank medallion as well.

Attached Files: