Briggs Bennett & Newton

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by saws4me, Nov 7, 2013.

1. saws4me

saws4me Member

Attached (hopefully) are some photos of a possible (according to Simon Barley) rare saw.
    Please see Simon's book ( to be published shortly) for any additional details that he may have. In the meantime, maybe we can gather some more information from readers to this forum.

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Interesting saw, I'm not having much luck tracking down information, the only thing I found was in The August 1 1887 edition of "The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith" was a notice of dissolution of partnership

Briggs, Bennett & Newton. Sheffield, cutlery manufacturers.

So that would possibly put an upper limit on the date of 1887

from here...
    http://archive.org/stream/watchmakerjewe1318871lond/watchmakerjewe1318871lond_djvu.txt

I wonder if the "Newton" might be Francis Newton

Francis Newton is probably the most well known of the Newton's, and he is listed as a saw maker (Francis Newton & Sons) Also has a pub named after him.. such is fame I guess...

[​IMG]

I wonder if it's the same Newton..?

Regards
    Ray

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Edward Newton, (not Francis, although they might be related?)
    Looks like BB&N were cutlers and merchants, so likely the saw was made for them by one of the major sawmakers
    see Gazette on the dissolution
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/25718/pages/3645/page.pdf

some details of the end-of-business items for sale by auction, July 1887, (cutlery, razors, equipment. no saws noted, although I didn't view the entire articles), as announced in the local Sheffield newspaper, are here;
    http://www.genesreunited.co.nz/sear...ne&searchhistorykey=0&keywords=bennett newton

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  4. ray

Hi Kiwi,

Nice bit of research! I should have persisted with the London Gazette searches.

Here is the Sheffield Telegraph Advert for the sale. July 1887
    [​IMG]

The only additional snippet I've found is reference in the Sheffield Independant Newspaper to a grindstone accident at BB&N in July 1886, involving a table knife grinder..
    It doesn't really add much to the question, as to whether they made their own saws or not, but it does indicate that they were more than just merchants.

[​IMG]

I wonder what OH&S would make of something like that.

Regards
    Ray

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  5. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

For some reason I cannot move the images sideways on my computer and so I cannot see the handle detail properly but from the look of the thumbnails, the medallion is raised and the saw screws have convex heads.

If this is true then it is an interesting find in a British saw this early, I think. (Or is it on the cusp of the changeover to such things?)

But, of course, this saw comes from Canada and I was therefore wondering whether the firm had followed the American fashion in the above respects in order to facilitate sales.

I too looked for the makers in the online directories but because of the screws/medallion I looked at the start of the 20th century - Doh!!!

Of course, if the screws are flat then this is entirely irrelevant. :eek:

Fred

6. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Fred,

I run into that picture problem a lot on this site, with the oversized image on the screen, use the zoom on your computer to go less than 100%.

7. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Fred, Toby,
    If clicking the image makes it too big to view I usually backtrack, then right-click to "open link in a new window", and then adjust the magnification as required to view details.
    [looks like flat screws, and recessed "warranted superior" crest type medallion ]

8. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

There was 'Isaac' ... used to mess around with apples and gravity and mysticism.

And 'Fig' of course.

:)

9. ray

Hmm, I think that's my fault, I removed the size limits on thumbnail attachments, I figured that was better than forcing people to re-size their images, I've now set a limit of 2048x1024 on jpg images, so if you have something bigger than that, you'll have to re-size it before uploading as a thumbnail.

:) tough act to follow...

Regards
    Ray